Chapter 15

1 year later

1 year later

Angharad was swamped with paperwork. Her desk was piled high with files for new recruits, and she'd been awake the whole night trying to put a dent in the growing piles of paperwork. Reports, medical leave assignments, research notes from her own squad's findings and so much more. The only bright side to the whole thing, was that she got to watch the sunrise light up her office from the window behind her.

She'd chosen to keep the design fairly modest. Her office was filled with dark wood furniture, but she'd added bright curtains and green wallpaper to liven up the place. If she was occasionally going to be stuck in her office for hours on end, she wanted the place to at least look pretty. Angharad sighed and leaned back in her chair to rub at her eyes. She pinched at the bridge of her nose, trying to push away the headache she'd had for the past hour.

A knock on the door.

"Come in." She called. The door creaked as it opened and she was met with the face of her Second in Command, Ilse Langnar.

"I have those notes from the last mission you requested." She reached into her breast pocket and procured a dark brown leather pocketbook. Angharad had bought it for Ilse after she had expressed an interest in helping Ang with her study of the world outside the walls.

But what Ilse didn't know was that all of Ang's notes, maps, and studies of the geographics of the island, were actually her watching for signs of an attack from Marley. Looking for any sign of advanced technology the Eldians didn't have themselves. But the island was proving to be bigger than she thought. Each time they ventured out into titan territory, each time they tried to travel further, something else would go wrong. A titan attack completely destroying the right flank, or a cracked wheel on one of the supply carts, causing the Scouts to come to a complete stop wherever they were while they were forced to deal with it.

Something always went wrong. And for some reason, Ang always knew it before it even happened.

She didn't know how, but she always got this tingle in the back of her head before disaster struck. She always had this radar for trouble, something she and Eren had in common. Erwin had noticed her odd behavior too. She could tell this much by his not-so-sneaky sidelong glances every time she reached up to rub the back of her neck.

Ang knew he was beginning to become suspicious, maybe even worried for her. When it was time for the formation to stop and refuel supplies, he'd ordered her on lookout with Mike. His sense of smell and her...whatever it was, was proving to be useful so far. She'd been able to detect titans and other dangers hidden in the trees, moments before the wind had alerted Mike to the same problem. Erwin had taken to having her on lookout from there on out. Ilse and the rest of Ang's squad had taken up her role of helping Hanji with her research in her absence.

Her Squad.

Her tiny little family that she had created. Ilse Langnar, who she had chosen as her second in command, was smart and resourceful. She often helped Hanji with her titan research and would be the one to take notes. Jeremiah Gray, who was an absolute unit, was the muscle, standing at 6'2", the same height as Mike. He was the one who would take up the frontmost position in their formation, being the first line of defense against enemies. There was James Gray, twin to Jeremiah, albeit much more soft spoken. They shared the same brunette hair and golden eyes, and both looked like they would crush you between their fingers if they wanted to. And yet they were the ones who had the biggest hearts. And then there was Layla Jones. She was just a bit taller than Ang, and she had the most beautiful strawberry blonde hair. She was often mistaken for Petra, another pretty young soldier on Levi's Special Operations Squad.