Chapter 26

No one saw Angharad for the rest of the night

No one saw Angharad for the rest of the night. After the shot rang out through the courtyard, the birds scattering from the tops of the trees, she had walked out of the stables and through the main doors of HQ, disappearing behind them as they closed. Mike and Erwin's squad had gone back to their sparring session immediately after Angharad had disappeared through the double-doors. Levi's Special Operations Squad, however, had hesitated. They often trained and coordinated with Angharad's squad, considering that Angharad knew most of the southern lands outside the Walls better than anyone else.

"What do you think they talked about?" Petra has asked timidly. Being Layla's best friend meant that she could probably just ask the other redhead later, but her pseudo-twin seemed too preoccupied with Jeremiah, who seemed to have his hands full with James. "Whatever James said obviously got to Jeremiah."

"Who cares. James has lost it. Jeremiah shouldn't be too far behind." Oluo's snarky comment wasn't appreciated, and his attitude was repaid by Gunther smacking him upside the head.

"That's not cool, man." Oluo rubbed at his injuries as he glared at his teammate. "They're our friends. We shouldn't be turning our backs against them."

"Gunther is right. They just lost a respected soldier and a loved teammate." Eld stepped forward has he also glared at Oluo. "We trained with them the most. We know how they work. Jeremiah's smart, but James is even smarter. Whatever they argued about must have really gotten under Jay's skin."

"Are you guys done slacking off?" Levi's sharp voice penetrated the conversation. They squad of four turned to face their Captain, the shorter man was obviously annoyed with them based on the way he was glaring at them.

"We were just worried about Jeremiah, sir." Petra spoke up for them, though when Levi turned his grey eyes onto her she pressed her lips together to remain silent.

"Let Lieutenant Jaeger worry about her own Squad. In the meantime, unless you want more cleaning details, you'll get back to work." Levi glared at them once more as he turned to continue his conversation with Section Commander Mike and Commander Erwin.

"Yes Captain!" The reply was unanimous, and they saluted before obeying their Captain's orders.

~

"You shouldn't have done that." Layla pressed the gauze against Jeremiah's palms, the alcohol causing the stinging feeling to increase. His fingers twitched, but he showed no change in his remorseful facial expression.

"Are you mad at me?" Jeremiah asked, his left shoulder was wrapped in order to keep his arm pressed against his ribs, but he could still move the lower part of his arm.

"I'm worried for you." She corrected. "You let James get into your head and paid the price for it." She pressed another alcohol soaked gauze onto his palms. "I know he's your twin, but you are two separate people. Don't let his grief drag you down with him."