Chapter 23

The days that followed the 34th expedition, Angharad felt, were some of the worst days she'd ever experienced

The days that followed the 34th expedition, Angharad felt, were some of the worst days she'd ever experienced. Not only had she lost Ilse, her second in command and friend of almost 9 years, but she had to be the one to tell James, who loved Ilse. James, the sweetest, most selfless person she'd ever had the opportunity of serving alongside. James who had attacked her, had wrapped his hands so tight around her throat that he almost completely crushed her esophagus, and sprained her wrist in his anger.

James who had been court martialed for attacking his superior and had the unfortunate luck of having to be locked away by his own twin. Jeremiah and Layla weren't doing so well after the incident either, both grieving over the loss of their friend and close comrade, all while being unable to do anything to ease James' pain. After being looked over by the medical team, Levi had reported back to Erwin with the news that Angharad was ordered to be on light duty for the next three weeks while her throat and wrist healed. She had lost the use of her voice and was ordered not to use her voice for any reason. Her wrist also needed a least a few weeks to heal, so she couldn't use her ODM gear either.

Basically she had all the time in the world to catch up on paperwork.

She was currently sitting at her desk filling out reports and documents for James' upcoming trial. Her left wrist wrapped to keep it supported, the pen flowing across the paper in her other hand. She reached for her now cold tea, when a knock at her office door sounded through the room. With no way to answer for the person on the other side to come in, she stood from her desk and walked across the room to open the door. She was met with the somber face of her best friend, Hanji Zoe.

"You got a second?" Hanji's eyes were dull and filled with remorse. Angharad nodded and stepped aside to allow the scientist to enter her office. Closing the door behind them, Angharad turned to face her best friend. "The judge decided James' sentence at the preliminary hearing."

Ang's heart sank to the bottom of her chest. Any early decisions in these situations almost never contained good news. Nodding for Hanji to continue, her shoulders rose and fell with the deep breath she took into her lungs.

"Premier Zackly has decided that James is not fit to continue serving in the Survey Corps. He gave James the choice to be transferred to the Garrison...or to be dishonorably discharged from the military altogether." Hanji ducked her head before the continued. "He chose the Garrison, but he'll basically be on gate duty for the rest of his career. And he can't move up in rank. So he'll remain under someone else's command for the rest of his life."

Angharad nervously rubbed her hands up and down her thighs and nodded. She ducked her head and crossed her arms over her chest as she tried to quell the rapid beating of her heart. Her chin wobbled as tears gathered in her eyes, and she brought her uninjured hand up to cover her face.

"Oh, Ang. I'm so sorry." Hanji stepped forward to wrap her arms around Ang's shoulders, the taller woman allowing the blonde to bury into her chest.