Chapter 16: The Wedding Part 3

"Tie the bride's Dupatta with groom's cloth..." The monk gave orders to my mother. Shreya came forward and tied my dupatta with Jay's red scarf tightly.

The man of the God chanted Mantras and Vedas as he worshipped gods names and poured Desi Ghee with the help of wooden spatula while he recited Suaha over and over again.

I caught a glimpse of my surroundings, I could feel my family and friends sitting just behind me Although, my in-laws sat on the other side, facing us. Bua had a plate full of Masala Dosa in her hand, she seemed busy gossiping and munching on it.

"Take the girl's hand in your hand." The monk commanded Jay.

Jay moved his head towards me. He stared at me as he opened his palm, offering it to me. Gulping, I gave my hand as he grasped my hand with his long smooth fingers.

At this moment I was feeling one numb thing that tomorrow I'm going to have to leave this place. Leave my parents. I moved my eyes to my father who was watching the wedding's customs with forethought, probably thinking what if anything goes wrong; On the other hand, my mother was sitting quietly, her eyes only on me. My stomach flip-flopped in saddened thoughts like all I really want is to just run away and never marry him! Or anyone at all!

I came out of my trance when I heard some ladies jabbering just behind me. I looked sideways and saw my friends were scheming about the shoe hiding ritual; they were busy formulating plans that when and how are they are going to steal the shoes.

I stole a light glance over Jay. Moving my eyes down, I noted he was not wearing any shoes instead, his feet were barefoot. He might have caught me staring down to his feet because he glared at me and then a frown framed over his face. I shrugged lightly and looked away. 

I don't know how long the monk is going to warble the Mantras but it already feels forever plus I'm damn tired. To be honest, I am waiting for that moment where I can be in my bed and remove this heavy loaded dress and huge carats of gold off of my body.

Hours passed and but the Mandap ceremony didn't. The time? I don't know what the time is, but I think it is pretty late, past midnight maybe? There aren't many people sitting behind us now, apart from my family and friends. Most of the guests went off to sleeping just like Bua who was sleeping under the Mandap.

I felt drowsy. I tried to open my eye sockets. I was surprised to see Jay who was sitting on his posture and not looking tired at all. Is he not human?

"Put the Kumkum in the girl's forehead," Monk said to Jay.

Jay held a little bit of red KumKum between his thumb and index finger. Bringing his hand over my head, He gave me a look, before placing the KumKum in a short straight line into my hairs. For a moment, He stared at my forehead with a satisfied smile on his face as if he was admiring his artwork.

My mother gave him the Mangalsutra when the monk commanded to tie it around my neck. He took the jewel in his hand and moved his eyes up to look at me.

His brown eyes never left mine as he brought the Jewel over my neck. Moving forward he tied the jewel around my neck. He was too close that I could feel his slow breath, even his eyes looked tired.

After the Mangalsutra custom, we were told to perform Mangal Phere where we had to take seven rounds of the sacred fire whilst the monk read out the seven vows. 

When they called my parents for the Kanyadan, my tears just didn't stop I hated when my father gave my hand to Jay, he told him. I was his now.