Prince in Disguise: Chapter 10

Cornelius' POV

I woke up at 4 AM today. I turned on a lamp on my study table and wrote a note for my parents to tell them where I am going to. I said that I would be studying and having fun with my friends at a summer school/summer camp for 3-5 months. I had to leave as soon as possible so I folded the note and placed it inside a white envelope. I had to gather everything that I need. I picked a big duffel bag and a small luggage to place important things.

I gathered several things:

1. Clothes that can be worn outside without other people noticing that I am the Prince;

2. A small handbag;

3. Pens, pencils, markers, and highlighters inside a pencil case;

4. Notebooks;

5. A med-kit;

6. Books; and

7. A gaming console

After finishing up, I opened the door of my bedroom and closed the door behind me quietly. I slowly walked towards the back door which led to the basement of the palace. While I was going down, I heard someone moving upstairs. I stopped moving and waited for the sound to go away. When it disappeared, I started to go down the stairs. In the basement, I got my flashlight instead of turning on the lights because the servants might become suspicious. I saw two doors. One of them has a signage on the side which said "Storage" and the other door did not have a signage. I tried to open this door but it did not really budge.

Maybe my parents do not want people or anyone trying to leave the palace other than the main door.

I suddenly remembered that in this palace, there were some hidden levers or buttons which can open the doors so that people who go here won't be able to get in. There must be one here as well. I checked the walls near the door and there was none. I tried checking out the basement's floors and some of the walls which weren't fully painted. It seems like there is no way to open this door. I stopped for a while, thinking about what I should do to be able to go through the underground tunnels besides this door. I brought out my mini-map of the palace and saw that there was a staircase that can lead towards the basement without having to open this door.

I changed my plan by going up the stairs quietly and look for that staircase. I turned off my flashlight and went up the stairs quietly. I did not hear anyone coming this way for any supplies so I walked up the last few steps of the stairs and quickly closed the door quietly. I started to walk again but quickly this time. At last, I was able to find it. Before anything else, I kept all of my belongings inside my small handbag and went downstairs.

I jogged right away, going through the dark underground tunnels which can lead you to your desired destination/location. I checked my map from time to time just to make sure that I am going the right way. Once I have reached the tunnel leading to Edinburgh, I stopped jogging and rested for a short while. Once I was ready to walk again, I went straight towards the tunnel with my flashlight in hand. After 45 minutes of walking or jogging and some short breaks to rest, I finally reached the place where I want to be, Edinburgh.

Breathing heavily, I stopped walking and smiled, thinking that this was a good idea to set myself free. Although this was temporary, I felt happy for being able to secretly leave the palace and find a place where I can be my usual self. It's not like I don't want to be a prince but sometimes I want to loosen up and just relax. I am not fond of balls, big parties, or basically celebrations celebrated in the palace because I usually just greet everyone who visited and later on I would be dancing with strangers or people who find me interesting. I just hope that when I come back to the palace, my parents would understand that sometimes it's okay for me to be able to interact with people my and just hangout with other people aside from my friends from high school or college.