As the microwave began, she made her way over to me and sat on the other side of the booth, directly across from me.

"So when are the two of you going to get a place?" She blurted out with a small smile and I huffed as she went on.

"You still waiting on that raise?" She went on asking, just like Gio had done in the car.

Everybody knew about the raise I was waiting on but nobody seemed to realize how much pressure it was on me to ask questions like this.

"Please, mom." I stopped her.

"Gio and I just talked about that in the car, on the way over here and I really don't feel like talking about it anymore."

"Okay, baby." She nodded, agreeing to drop it for now but I knew it would come up again.

It always does. From him and her.

Pushing those thoughts out of my mind, I sat there quietly while I picked my brain of the thoughts from earlier. I had so much on my mind outside of getting place with Gio and I wanted to talk to my mom about it but I just wasn't sure if she'd see it how I did.

"What's wrong, baby?" She asked, placing her hand on top of mine and I looked up into her eyes with a pout.

It was like she was reading my mind.

"Is it about this raise? Because if so, stop waiting on it."

"Don't deprive yourself or Giovanni of starting your young lives together. You'll regret it, if you do."

"You'll turn around and be 30 years old, still living with me, wishing you would've just went for it."

"It's not just about that, mom-" I started but stopped, looking down.

"It's that too but also, this stuff with his mom." I ended up admitting, trying to keep it together so that I wouldn't worry her.

"She's still..?" She asked, raising her eyebrows and I nodded, not even needing her to say it.

"Shes doesn't like me at all and I can feel it."

"I have been feeling it for seven years now. And I've expressed this to Gi but he keeps telling me that I'm wrong."

"I even think-" I started but stopped, gathering my words.

"What is it, honey?" She asked curiously.

"I don't know if this is true but I think I heard her call me a dark or something to Gi." I expressed to her and she furrowed her eyebrows, gasping loudly.

"Excuse me?" She placed her hand over her heart, obviously surprised by my words.

This wasn't my first time thinking that I heard it, considering she usually spoke Spanish when I was around but this was the first time that I could almost confirm it.

I was at the top of the steps, trying to console Maribel with Nat, when it sounded like she called me dark to him. Meaning my skin.

Gio didn't know this though.

"Hell no. Are you sure, Madi?"

"No, I'm not. I just think that's what I heard, I couldn't hear her completely." I admitted.

"I might just be overthinking it and getting in my own head." I said, saying what Gio says to me.

"Well what did Giovanni say when she allegedly said it?"

"I don't know."

"I wasn't listening for too long."

"I was too focused on trying to console Mari, she was crying on the steps." I admitted, not wanting to believe his mom would say that about me but it honestly made sense.