epilogue

third person - six years later

"and our gold olympic medalist for ladies singles in figure skating is.... amaya sugihara for japan!" an announcer calls through the loudspeaker.

amaya's eyes widen, basically popping right out of her head as she turns to her boyfriend, whose jaw is practically on the floor.

"oh my god what!" she squeals, taking his hands and jumping up and down.

tobio is rendered speechless.

she stumbles out toward the podium, standing on the top tier and accepting her gold medal humbly.

tears stream down her face, and she wipes them carefully.

she's just achieved her dream.

and her boyfriend was there through it all.

tobio watches his girlfriend adoringly as she laughs, wiping tears of joy from her face.

he fumbles with a small box in his pocket.

now is the right time. the perfect time,
he thinks.

amaya is pulled off to the side for some interviews and she recalls her first year of high school at her national qualifying tournament.

the day tobio told her he loved her for the first time.

it's a memory she won't ever forget. it's the one that kept her going and motivated her to become the person she is today.

an olympic gold medalist.

it's crazy to her, she can barely wrap her head around it.

it feels surreal. it feels like a dream.

she thanks her interviewers, the photographers, the judges, and everyone else before making her way back to her boyfriend.

she runs into his arms, almost knocking him over and their lips collide as he spins her around.

she shows off her gold medal laying around her neck.

"i'm so proud of you, maya," tobio says, his arms still around her waist.

"i can't believe it. i actually can't. please- this has to be fake," she laughs, and he softly wipes a stray tear from her cheek, kissing her head.

he grabs her wrist, leading her to a more hidden area.

it reminds her of that day, when they were 15. the day he confessed his love for her.

and that's exactly what he's going for.

he stops them next to the wall, holding both of her hands.

amaya couldn't be any more clueless, her intuition clouded by adrenaline and excitement.

"amaya," tobio says, all of a sudden serious. he pauses.

"tobio," she chuckles, squeezing his hands with her own.

"amaya, i love you more than anything in this world," he starts. she stays quiet, listening to what he's going on about.

"i honestly really can't imagine my life without you. we've grown up together, shared successes, failures, and everything in between.
you are the best thing that's ever happened to me. and i want you to be mine. forever,"
he says, and it clicks in her brain when he gets down on one knee, pulling out the box he's been fiddling with all day.

"will you marry me?"

he opens the small box, reveling a gorgeous ring that she knows he chose with care.

a goofy grin makes its way onto her face as she sniffles, tears streaming down her cheeks for what seems like the hundredth time today.

she nods slowly.

"yes! yes i will, oh my god, tobio!" she cries, taking his hand and pulling him up so she can hug him.

he lets out a deep breath he didn't know he was holding in.

"i love you so much," she says into his shirt. he kisses the top of her head before lifting her chin up to kiss her lips.

they pull apart, and he takes her hand, slipping the perfectly fitting ring on her finger.

"you caught me so off guard," she laughs, sniffling. "i really didn't expect that today."

he chuckles. "i was so nervous, i decided i was only going to do it if you won gold."

she smacks him, laughing harder.

"did everyone else know?" she asks, and he nods.

as if on queue, keiko and shoyo run in toward them, tackling them in excitement.

"let me see the ring!" keiko exclaims, stealing amaya's hand and admiring it.

"it's gorgeous! ugh shoyo, i'm still pissed at you for proposing with a plastic ring from the arcade," she glares at her husband playfully.

"hey! i got you a real ring! i didn't plan it first so i didn't have a real one!" he defends.

they all laugh.

"can i help plan the wedding?" keiko says, shaking amaya's shoulder. "wait! i almost fucking forgot! YOU WON GOLD! THATS MY BEST FRIEND! AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST!"

amaya laughs. "obviously i'm letting you help with the wedding, yours was the most gorgeous thing i've ever seen."

"YOU WON GOLD! LETS TALK ABOUT THAT LATER. YOU WON GOLD!" keiko squeals.

"i know! today doesn't even feel real!" amaya exclaims.

"you're getting married, bestie!" keiko squeals.

amaya beams with excitement.

"i think this is the best day of my life," she chuckles.

tobio snakes his arms around her waist from behind, resting his head on top of hers.

he grabs her hand and admires his ring on her finger.

she does the same.

"i love you, forever," he says softly into her ear.

"i love you, forever," she repeats.

a/n: heya! thanks sm for reading❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

this will undergo HEAVY editing in the future 'cause i'm literally cringing so bad at it

BUT go check out my other stories!

& thanks again for reading!