seventeen; finals

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

kageyama's point of view

i walk into my classroom a bundle of nerves. it's finally the end of the week, the day of finals. if i fail that means no tokyo, and no volleyball.

amaya, keiko, and yachi have helped hinata and i study all week. by now, it's like the english problems are ingrained in my head.

the teacher comes in and starts handing out tests and taking attendance.

here goes.

☼ ☼ ☼

ugh. i definitely don't feel confident about my english test. all my other ones i'm pretty sure i did decent on, though.

when it's time to see our final marks, i nervously hold the paper.

i wish amaya was here.

i open it. just as i expected, i've failed english.

damn it.

i slam my fist onto my desk. i wonder how hinata did.

the teacher dismisses us and i take out my phone to see a few missed texts.

sugiyama for life 😏‼️💯

keiko
how'd y'all do on your
finals?
i did pretty well!

amaya
same here!

hinata
...
i failed english 😐

so did i.

keiko
WHAT??
you guys were doing SO well
though!

hinata
i accidentally marked all my
answers one question off

i spent too much time memorizing
and didn't know how to answer
the reading comprehension
questions.

amaya
awe. so does that mean you
guys can't come to training
camp at all?

hinata
i think we can come after our
supplementary lessons
idk who's taking us though

amaya
oh good!
y'all better hurry up tomorrow

☼ ☼ ☼

the next day, hinata and i sit through hours of painstakingly boring lessons. my mind could only focus on what the team was doing right now and how bad i wanted to be on the court. and, of course, how amaya is doing.

when we're finally dismissed, hinata and i rush out of the school. tanaka's older sister is there waiting for us.

i sleep on the ride there, and soon enough, we arrive. the three of us speed-walk to the gym. tanaka's sister opens the door and everyone near turns to look at us.

i'm only looking for one person, though.

i catch her eyes, and we both smile at each other. she excitedly gestures for us to come over.

"you made it!" amaya happily says as i stand next to her on the sidelines. i get butterflies just in her presence.

"yeah, we did. how's everyone doing?"

"not great, we haven't really won yet," she frowns. "but now that you guys are here we should!"

i nod and coach calls me and hinata over to talk. we're soon dismissed to change and get back here as soon as possible.

hinata and i race to the bathroom.

"i saw you blushing when amaya was talking to you," he says as we enter different stalls.

"huh?"

"and don't think i didn't see you look for her as soon as we got here. you're not slick," he snickers.

"shut up you dumbass," i say, rolling my eyes.

"it's obvious you like her. ask her out!" he says and i freeze.

"i what?"

"you LIKE her! romantically! it's not that hard to see it dude, you want to be more than friends," he comments.

i like her? i've never liked anyone before.

"how do you know i like her?"

"okay, well i realized i like keiko on that day when you two ditched us after practice and we hung out alone. the whole time i felt warm inside and i never wanted to leave her side. i didn't tell you this, but i think i almost tried to kiss her," he says as we both exit the stalls.

"hmm," i groan.

maybe i do feel that way about her.

"so do you feel like that around amaya? butterflies in your stomach, fast heartbeat, warm feelings around her?" he asks me. i finally realize it.

"i guess i do. i like her," i say. i can't believe i just said it out loud.

"I KNEW IT! you should ask her out dude! confess!"

"but what if she doesn't feel the same?" i worry. he scoffs.

"she definitely does you idiot. you must be dense to not see it. AND to not even know you liked her until i pointed it out," he punches my arm. we exit the restroom and automatically start racing back to the team. my mind wanders back to amaya.

i like her. as more than a friend. huh.

when we arrive back at the court, coach decides to wait it out and put us in the next match. i stare blankly as i get lost in my thoughts.