Chapter 19

A/N: So, today's chapter song is All We Are by Richello. It really displays how the crew does everything together and are always there for each other. We're hitting one of the climaxes of the story, today! So, sit back, grab a snack, and relax because this chapter will be a bit longer than usual...

Sophie had hailed Wylie, Maruca, Stina, and Marella while Fitz was talking to everyone else in the group, and the Black Swan. It really hurt Sophie since this would be the second time they were all together without Keefe.

Sophie put her Imparter away, as she closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. They were doing this to find him. And they would.

They had to.

                  ━━━━━━━━━༻♡༺━━━━━━━━━

Everyone had leapt to Havenfield when they'd been hailed. She was no Empath, unlike some people, but she could tell there was a mix of fear, excitement, adrenaline, and some more giddy feelings in the room. 

And most strangely enough, Grady was looking pale again today. Not as shaken up as the last time they did this, but it was definitely enough for Sophie to guess that something was up. She made a mental note to ask him later, and to handle whatever it was that was troubling him much better than last time.

She was brought out of her thoughts when she felt a gentle, tapping sensation on her left shoulder.

Sophie turned around and saw a familiar wrinkled face, and bloated belly. 

"It has been quite some time, Miss Foster," said Mr. Forkle, a soft smile on his face.

Sophie managed a smile back.  "It has. Hello, Mr. Forkle."

Mr. Forkle bent down so he was crouching at Sophie's eye level. "I'm alright. But I do have to ask how you're doing, too. I haven't seen you since..."

Sophie closed her eyes, and wiggled her feet to stay focused and calm. 

"I'm okay. We're going to act on that today!" she said, thought it came out a bit squeakier than she would have liked.

Mr. Forkle looked at her with a knowing look. 

"I trust you," he said, though Sophie was sure he knew that there was some part of her that was lost and confused. He knelt back up as he dusted off his tunic. But before he left, he looked right into Sophie's dark, brown eyes.

"I am here if you need anything, Miss Foster. I'll always be here."

Sophie smiled, and she could feel tears brimming on the the sides of her eyes. She felt so touched, because there was a time when she never could have in her wildest dreams guessed that she would have such a large amount of people supporting her.

It was honestly still kind of unbelievable to understand that she was an elf, a genetically mutated one at that, who was tied up in some deep conspiracy. That she had an amazing set of friends, and that she had the best parents ever. 

And that she had someone in her life who could relate to her in more ways than anyone else. Someone who always knew the right things to tell her at the right time. Someone who made her laugh in the hardest times she'd had to endure. Someone who cared about her more than she cared about himself.

Someone she loved.

And Sophie got even more emotionally tied up there for a second, turning away from view and letting a few tears fall. She knew she had to be strong, but you can't ignore your vulnerabilities at all. 

She took a deep breath, wiping her eyes gently with her silky sleeve. Sophie smiled, and turned around, walking into the crystal mansion she called home, making her way to Havenfield's main room, where her friends, parents, and most of the members of the Collective were.