Chapter Twenty-One: Divide Et Impera

Start from the beginning

"I can't believe this. Why would someone like Lachlan do this for people like us?" Mom asked.

"The man spent a majority of his life having people kiss his ass and pretend to like him just to get something out of him. We....we...."

"We treated him like a human being and now a cash cow." I finished for dad.

"Good things happen to good people." Mom smiled.

"I hope Lincoln is doing okay with telling his mother."

I looked down at my phone, waiting for a text message from him. I was worried about him, but he told me had everything covered even if something went wrong. I asked him what that meant and he just said that he had....friends in....high places.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Lincoln's POV)

"Everything good to go?"

"Yes, sir."

I groaned. "This is going to go terrible."

"That's why we have a backup plan though." Harvey said.

"I wish we didn't need one though. I wish they could just be civil people."

He chuckled. "Civil isn't a word I'd ever use to describe your family."

Davis walked in at that moment with Vick behind him.

"You have everything?"

"I do. I have the actual papers and I have a copy of them in case anyone tries anything. I figure we'll show them the copies first to be safe." Davis said.

"Excellent idea." Harvey smiled.

"Let's get this over with."

"I shall wait here with the number you gave me on speed dial." Harvey said, holding up his phone.

"Can I wait out here too?" Vick asked.

"Nope. You're going in with me." I said.

We walked into the living room where everyone was waiting and I immediately wanted to leave. They were already suspicious because I'd called a family meeting, so seeing Davis made it even worse. I scoffed when I saw that they'd invited Priscilla and her family in the corner.

"What are they doing here?" I asked.

"You said it's a family meeting. With the upcoming weddings, they are going to be family." Mother said.

"What is Davis doing here?" Landen asked.

"When dad died, did you read his will?" I asked my mother, ignoring Landen's question.

"O-Of course. Davis wasn't there though. A different lawyer handled it." She lied.

I held out my hand and Davis handed me a copy of the will. I threw it down on the coffee table.

"That is father's will. You didn't read it. You lied to me."

She lunged forward to grab it, but I swiped it back up before she got it.

"Where did you find it?" She hissed, standing up.

"Wouldn't you rather know what it says?" I asked, handing it back to Davis.

"What does it say?" Julie asked.

I smiled at her. "Glad you asked, sis. Davis, if you will."

Davis read out loud when my mother, brothers, and Julie get and everyone but Julie seemed shocked and offended.

"I was married to that man for years and that's all he's left me?! That's completely unacceptable."

"You have one week to pack your belongings and find someplace else to live." I said.