Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fᴏᴜʀ

It's been almost two weeks since I had that little run in with Suna. Work's been keeping me busy, forcing me to go in before dawn and leave way past sunset. We finally settled our new business deal, and started designing and casting models. But I won't be able to actually rest until I see the final product.

Saturday 3:45 pm

RING

RING

RING

I lift my head from the couch cusion, seeing a grourp facetime from Alisa, Kiyo, and two unknown numbers.

RING

RING

'I could let it ring, but I haven't spoken to them in a while.'

"Hello?" I speak, finally answering the phone.

"Y/N! Ugh, you look like shit. what's wrong?" I hear Leilani's familiar voice ring out.

"Why thank you. I just love my appearance getting commented on first thing in the morning."

"It's almost four o'clock, I doubt that's considered morning-" Kiyoko's voice mumbles. "Anyways~, let's go out tonight."

"No."

"Please~, last time was a total bust. I wanna make it up to you~" Alisa pleads.

"You can make it up to me by hanging up."

"Aw cmon, it's a street race~ I remember you saying how much you've always wanted to go to one." Mai presses on, trying to convince me.

"Yea! It'll be fun, I'll even let you ride passenger in my race!" Leilani says, trying to coerce me into agreeing.

Sighing, "I'll go on one condition," I say, eyeing the four of them through the phone. "You have to tell me how exactly y'all got wrapped up in all this."

"Deal!" They all say before telling me the outfits they plan to wear, the location, and what time to get there.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

10:36 pm

Car engines rumble the ground beneath my feet, exhaust fumes tickle my nose, and a late-summer breeze makes me shove my hands deeper into my pockets. I look around, street vendors busy handing out different kinds of assortments to customers of all types. People covered in tattoos and piercings, mingling in groups while admiring the different cars. Walking around some more, I try my best to remember Leilani's directions.

"Look for Red and Black, those are usually the colors we wear." Her voice replays in my head. So that's what I look for until I feel somebody's heavy body crash onto my shoulders. Stumbling forward, I look back with wide eyes only to be met by the lady in question. This time her platinium hair is braided back into cornrows and her eyes are shaded by rimless sunglasses with a pink tint.

"About time you got here, I thought you might've gotten kidnapped or somethin'." She said, keeping her arm around my shoulder.

"Well it's your fault, I didn't even wanna come out here tonight-"

"Yea, yea. You still came through, right? And besides, you're going to have a great time. Let's go, the others are over there." She says, leading me by my hand. She comes to a complete stop before turning around with a wide smile on her face while presenting me with her car.

"It's a Nissan 240sx, built her with my dad a few years back!" She beamed now looking back to admire the burgundy red two-seater.

"It's very pretty," I say in genuine awe, I didn't know cars well enough to talk about numbers but I do know beauty when I see it. Mai and Kiyo approach us and Mai points out her very own cherry red, 1996 Mazda Miata.