Chapter Ten

Written by BookwormCM18. I agree with Legacy of Hecate. Sure, about the fact that I don't own Harry Potter, but mostly about Umbridge's brutal murder.

===

Lily flops on to the bed, her face still red with excitement and embarrassment. She mentally reprimands herself for being so worked up over a silly matter.

But it is her first real date! As smart and talented as she is, boys have never been particularly...attracted to her. And she hates to admit it, but she has been asked out before. She has always rejected the offers, but she had accepted an invitation once, only to find out that all the stupid Hufflepuff wanted was help on all his assignments, not her.

As annoying as James is, he would never trick her like that; she is sure of it. And after he embarrassed himself in front of the great hall to ask her out, and the incident that happened with the Whomping Willow, she owes him this one date.

Just one date.

===

James has no idea what to think. He just can't admit to Lily, who, even as she tries to hide it, is ecstatic about the date, that he had only asked her out because of a dare. But he isn't sure he could manage to keep that fact a secret all day. It feels like Lily would be heartbroken either way.

But there is this nagging thought, at the back of his mind, under all the debris of random facts and prank ideas, that he shouldn't try to avoid the date. That maybe, the next day won't be so bad after all.

He doesn't dare voice his thoughts, though, for Padfoot would ridicule him to death. He's a good friend and all, but after James's Great Embarrassment, anytime he does anything to Lily (even talk to her), Sirius will go on and on about how he shouldn't even try with girls, for he is "pathetically bad" at it.

There is no point in trying to explain how he didn't care about other girls, just one of them, who was his friend!

With no choice in the matter, a sighing James dives into the mess that is his closet, trying to find that dress robe that his mother sent him for Valentine's Day.

===

Lily Evans is officially infuriated. perfectly beautiful, but infuriated. The simple fact that she has no idea how to use make-up has never bothered her before, but now that it is a necessary skill, Lily is clueless. that leaves her the choice of asking her dormmates for help, risking being laughed at.

In the end, Lily decidsd that she would rather ask for help than not. Trudging out of the built-in bathroom, she contemplates the way she will ask for help. But was she delighted that she has the bestest friends she can ask for; one look, and Mary rushes to get her make-up, which she shares with their other two Pureblood friends.

Lily has never needed make-up, and after she had declined Mary's first offer, Lily had made it clear that she didn't want to be asked again. This explaines the look of shock on Alice and Marlene's faces.

When she sits down on the chair in front of Mary's mini-vanity (As Mary insists on it being called), Lily has to admit, she is intimidated by the passionate look on Mary's face, and the way she holds the mascara-like a weapon.

As it turnes out, her fears are pointless, as all she feels was slight coldness. Mary has instructed Lily to keep her eyes closed the entire time, which sprouts new fears, the greatest of them that she would look as if she has tried too hard.

Marlene is never one to use makeup to look natural. No, she uses bright and bold colors in her eye shadow, and paints her nails to match. Alice, on the other hand, is very odd when it came to beauty. She preferres to paint her nails in complete contrast to each other, and ussd a color a couple shades darker than her skin for her face.