Chapter 16

Alastair stared at the two of them, shocked. His gaze riveted to Mia's face, which evoked such a feeling of familiarity. However, after a moment, he came to his senses. Leon's expression wasn't so good.

Leon approached Alastair and snatched the bag he was holding. Meanwhile, Mia gazed at Alastair with a flash of complication in her eyes.

She couldn't be more familiar with this man. He was the one who had known the truth behind her and Leon's relationship back then. 

"Miss Ford, long time no see," Alastair said his greeting first. 

"Sir Wellington." Mia greeted him back.

Leon looked at the two and frowned. He put the bag on his table and went back walking to Alastair.

In confusion, Alastair could only stare at him. He was about to open his mouth when suddenly the door slammed shut, stunned him into silence.

"Do your job properly." Leon's order came like a lightning striking the bark of a tree ruthlessly. Alastair's mouth twitched. The lunchtime hadn't even ended yet.

Inside the room, Mia looked on curiously. This was the first time in five years that she was met again with a person that could barely be considered as acquaintances.

"Take off your high heels," Leon ordered, snatching the bag Alastair had brought earlier. He rummaged through it and seemed to be satisfied by the content inside.

"W-what?" Mia was startled by his order. She looked around, trying to see if she had mistakenly worn high heels in places she shouldn't. But when she remembered that it was Leon's office, it was impossible that one should take off their shoes upon entering the room. This wasn't home.

"I have already said that you don't have to force yourself to wear something uncomfortable." Leon approached her, bringing with him a pair of grey slippers.

"This isn't a home." Mia reminded him. "It's inappropriate to wear something like that in an office."

Leon raised one of his eyebrows. "I am the one who makes the rules here. Only I can decide what's appropriate and what's not."

Mia's mouth twitched at that declaration. He had always been this cocky and self-important, as long as she remembered. She had been so used to that in the past. The thing that she hadn't gotten right now was the blatant contrast in his way of treating her.

He had become much more considerate and less forceful. It made her couldn't help but wonder. What had happened to him in the past five years?

His mother was also a lady who was hard to deal with, a persistent woman. Otherwise, Leon wouldn't resort to such a way, going as far as deceiving her just to get her off the talk of marriage.

"Wait, I will wear it myself." Mia stopped him from touching her feet. This man's action lately was quite strange. It was so out of his personality to care for a woman like this.

Mia accepted the pair of slippers handed to her. She gazed at it with hesitation. The texture was soft that it would be more comfortable rather than wearing such high heels. Her skin also wouldn't hurt as much. After a moment of uncertainty, Mia took off her heels and chose to wear these slippers.

"It is really alright?" She was still in doubt. This man isn't playing with her, is he? What if someone came here?

"It's much more comfortable, right?" Leon muttered smugly. "People wouldn't come so easily to my office and barge in just like that."

What about Alastair earlier? Mia wanted to ask.

"Or you can go to that room." Leon pointed to the door. "You can rest there if you want. None will disturb you."

Mia was bewildered now. What did he actually want to do now that she had given him his supposed 'lunch'?

Leon stared at her, gesturing her to move to that room. Mia stood up, walking toward it. She was also a bit curious about what's inside. Though so, she still warily observe Leon in case something untoward happened.

Receiving that kind of eyes full of distrust, Leon's eye twitched. He could only ignore it and focused on his work. He observed her from his peripheral vision as not to make it too obvious.

Leon had been occasionally fiddling with his phone so earnestly earlier. Mia noticed it too. She concluded that he was probably quite busy right now. Inwardly, she snorted, a bit indignant. Since he was so busy all day like this, how can he find so much time to bother her this past month?

Mia opened the door. The room inside unexpectedly was quite spacious and seemed to be comfy. It was designed to be like a living room with a soft sofa and thick carpet. No wonder that he had ordered her to wear a pair of slippers.

He was the boss, judged from how much of a workaholic he used to be, this room might be where he usually sleeps. Mia sat on the sofa.

What to do now? She wondered. With such a place alone, she found her thought wandering.

In the five years, how did Leon handled the madam, that mother of his? She often ordered the two of them to come and visit as frequently. Just from spending a year with Leon, she knew that he must've quite a headache dealing with her then.

Though, it was also none of her business. She got no time to care too much about other people's problems. She had learned to be more indifferent so that she wouldn't be taken advantage of.

She was suddenly reminded of Alastair. He was Leon's assistant and worked quite closely with him. When he had that deal of marriage with her, she could tell that this man didn't have any good opinion of her.

She didn't care too much about him. The one she had a contract with was Leon, not him. Surprisingly, he was much more polite to her today.

The thought of Alastair suddenly led to something she had almost forgotten. It was rarely mentioned after all.

"Perhaps..." Mia let out a sigh as another realization hit her. How could she forget about that certain matter?

Happy Eid Mubarak!