Chapter 10

Mia's weak body slid down the cold, wet tiles in the bathroom. Her long hair still dripping wet, sticking to her back. She didn't care, even when the lips had gone slightly pale, trembling.

Winter was a harsh season, especially for those who didn't have a working heater. In this small house, Mia barely able to pay for the rent if not for the generous owner. They were a pair of elderly, who had taken pity in her situation and decided to rent her the house with such a generous offer.

She stared ahead, her eyes unfocused. A numb expression was displayed on her face. With a rigid move, her hand finally moved, clutching the water dipper tightly to scoop some water.

When the cold water splashed her entire body, it felt like a slap to reality. She shuddered, the teeth chattering for a few seconds. She grew silent once more.

The stove had somehow unable to be used, causing her to endure such a cold bath in the freezing winter. She had some hot water left in the thermos, but it was for Aiden so that he could have some warm drink later. Naturally, Mia was unwilling to squander it.

She had put some hot water to make it warmer, yet it was unknown whether it was because of her foolishness or the cruel cold winter that it had gone cold so quickly. Mia didn't remember how long had she been staying in the bathroom.

Wincing slightly, she hurriedly got up as a notion struck her head. In case she got sick, it would be disastrous. After she dried herself with a towel and put on the clothes, she hastily exited the bathroom.

She headed toward the bedroom. Involuntarily, her gaze landed on the phone on top of a table. A rare expression of hesitation was displayed on her face. She frowned, and her hand reached out for it after some contemplation.

Mia had saved his number.

When the screen popped up showing his name, somehow she hesitated again. Yet, as she took a glance at the sleeping Adrian on the bed, her gaze subconsciously softened.

Aiden's expression was slightly pale. Mia pulled another blanket and draped it to cover his body. The fragile sight of her usually hyperactive son tugged on her heart. The memories of what happened earlier replayed themselves in her memory again. Such helpless feeling, even if she had to go through the same path again, at least she had tried, right?

Mia gritted her teeth and hardened her heart. She didn't like to be tangled in too much drama of people from those rich houses. What people could do with money is sometimes dangerous and unimaginable. She, as a common woman with no background whatsoever, naturally had her misgivings -- to protect herself.

Someone as rich as Leonardo Kingston. Even if he finds her interesting, that sort of abstract thing like a fleeting interest would eventually fade away someday. As a mere plaything, when he grew bored, she would be discarded away like an unwanted doll.

It was good that she had managed to get away and drew the line quickly in the past. Now, whatever that man needed, she would need to do the same thing again.

"This is like a gamble... " A soft mumble escaped from Mia's lips. She typed some words, once a while made a stop to ponder the propriety of it, then continued to move her fingers rather quickly.

She sent the words without checking it again, unwilling to occupy her thoughts with the matters regarding that person any longer.

A shiver of cold run down her spine, she rubbed her hands together. The bed was rather warm, and she slid down to occupy the position beside Aiden, pulling the blanket to cover her entire body.

The fair, pale hand reached out to rub Aiden's hair affectionately, causing the boy to stir slightly. Mia stopped, and when Aiden let out a contented sigh, she couldn't help to let a small smile decorated her face.

"Mia, you haven't gone to sleep yet?" The voice from the other side asked. Mia had called Seina in this late-night, knowing that the woman would still be awake at this hour nearing midnight. "Do you have something in mind?"

"Yes. I want to ask for a favor of help from you." The soft tone indicated Mia's unease.

"Oh, what is it? If that's within my ability, I will surely help you."

"Is there enough space for two more people in your house?" Mia paused,  biting her lips. "I and Aiden planned to move into another house."

There was a momentary silence from the other side, and Mia was slightly worried. Perhaps, the house had already been occupied by others? It had been some time since Seina last offered to live in the same house together.  She quickly added. "If that's not possible --"

An excited voice cut off Mia's words. She could hear Seina's excitement through the phone. "Of course you can, sweetie. We, single women, should flock together and support each other. In the past, why were you so stubborn, hmm?"

Mia could almost picture Seina's wide smile right now. Upon hearing her friend's words, Mia heaved a sigh of relief. However, a trace of hesitation remained in her heart.

"Seina..." She softly called her friend's name. Perhaps, it was the time that she should tell others about how she felt and not just bottled it up alone. Her foster mother was right. If she kept on accumulating those negative feelings, it would someday erupt.

Seina was silent for a moment. As she realized that Mia rarely called her name in such a heartfelt manner, she hurriedly replied. "Yes, I am here for you."

Vaguely, she had a feeling that Mia was about to let out everything to her. She guessed that it was related to the man in the suit she had seen acted so familiar to Mia earlier. Seina couldn't help but felt the flooding warmth in her heart. It was a sign that Mia now had trusted her.

So, she wholeheartedly listened to Mia retelling her involvement with that man. Started from how she had no choice but to get tangled with him to eventually birthed Aiden's existence.

The two women spent the night comforting each other.

It was not known who had hung the phone first, but when a certain name popped up on Mia's screen, she had already been asleep, her face wearing a lighter expression as if some weight had been lifted from her shoulder.