Chapter nine: Bad combination

Start from the beginning

"I'm not doing this" she spat, "everything you do is lie"

"Aww someone's grumpy" he continued, as he followed her path over the room.

The girl stopped on her tracks, completely done with her crush as she turned around and faced him almost switching colors out of anger.

"Why do you always push away how i feel? We should talk things out, don't just avoid me."

Something changed in the boy's face, as if the action made him realize a million things, and his mind was having a hard time comprehending all of them. But his child-like self was gone. That was a relief.

"You are the one who kept things from me first" he said "how come i'm the one avoiding you, when you even caused that scene at the restaurant?"

With his comment, something clicked inside her brain.

"So you do remember, you're just trying to act as if nothing happened..." she scoffed and looked at him with the most disbelief in her eyes "you are not even drunk, you are just trying to get yourself out of this conversation."

The guy stared at her with his honey orbs, staying silent for a couple of seconds that seemed to last an eternity. Which only made Mac's heart grow tighter. A part of her wanted him to contradict her, to tell her she was wrong, that he hadn't lied. But the silence coming from the male only confirmed her theory.

"I told you I was sober" he let out after a while.

"You still acted as if you weren't!" she left out, trying not to lose the little self control she had left. "It's so typical of you to always send mixed signals... I forgot that's your way of being."

From the other side of the door, the three girls asked themselves if they should step out and save Mac from the mess or let them sort their things out.

"What if it ends up being worse?" Karin commented. "She's close to crying"

"You think going outside would even make the situation any better?" Lara asked the smaller, "it was time for them to talk it out, let's just wait some more"

"If we go outside, wouldn't it ruin everything?" Hannah added, "Corpse doesn't even know we are here, he might just end up leaving, and they really need to have this conversation."

"Should we text the gc?" the red haired girl asked, "they should know about what's going on"

"And make Lucy and laura come over ready to fight with their heels? No thank you"

"Let's just give them space, Mac wouldn't like us to be eavesdropping on her"

The two other girls nodded in agreement with the proposal made by the girl in front of them. Nonetheless, just as they were taking their ears off the door, a yell passed through the material, making them avert their attention once more to the conversation at the other side.

"What are you talking about?!" the deep masculine voice had asked.

"Exactly this! Did that kiss back in June mean anything to you?" she asked in an exasperated tone.

Mac wouldn't usually let her weak side show, or at least not to a lot of people. She considered herself a very sensible person, nonetheless, she managed to suck her emotions and pull a dull face that hid all of her feelings from the outside world, not wanting anyone to enter her little bubble. 

But Corpse did.

 Corpse managed to go through that face that she struggled so much building up. The facade that made everyone think she was the girl who always tried to make people smile, cracking up jokes or sarcastic comments at the best situations, lighting up everyone's mood. The moment in which Corpse got to see her real side, the one that went deeper than what her friends saw, she felt exposed. She felt weak. She was afraid of opening too much and getting attached, of being unable to control her feelings as she wanted to. Even with all of her worries, a part of her felt safe when Corpse was there, giving her support, talking to her, or just hugging her. She hated how she couldn't hide from him. She hated how each time he managed to slip under her skin, and unmask everything she kept silent. She hated how he didn't have to try hard to make her talk to him. She wasn't used to being like this. She hated the effect he had on her thoughts, on her heart, on her.