Chapter Fifteen: Moriarty

Start from the beginning

        "You know I do." We stared at each other for a few seconds. "Right, find a little case this week. Stay out of the news." I stood up and started towards the door. Sherlock grabbed my wrist and spun me back. He put both hands on my face and kissed me. Hard.  I put my hands on his waist. Suddenly I stumbled and fell to the ground, pulling Sherlock down with me. He landed on top of me and we both began laughing. He looked down at me. 

        "Sherlock, are you alright, I heard-" Mrs. Hudson stopped upon seeing our position. "Oh dear." She smiled and left the flat. 

        "Ok, we have to get up now." I told him.

        'Quite right.

~~~
        John walked out in his dressing gown, drying his hair with a towel. Sherlock peered into his microscope, and I laid upside down in Sherlock's chair, reading.

        "It's your phone." He said as SHerlock's phone chimed for the fifth time.

        "Hmm, Keeps doing that." John dodged the mannequin hanging from the ceiling, sitting down. 

        "So did you just talk to him for a really long time?"I laughed slightly.

        "Oh, Henry Fishguard never committed suicide. Those street runners missed everything." 

        "Pressing case, is it?" 

        "They're all pressing to their-selves." I answered, bored. His phone chimed again. I sighed, walking over to it and picking it up. I walked over to Sherlock upon reading the text. "Here."

        'Not now, I'm busy."

        "Sherlock?"

        'Not now!"

        "It's him." I said.

~~~

        "That glass is tougher then anything." Greg said. We were trying to figure out how Moriarty had gotten into the crown jewels case.

        "Not tougher then crystallized carbon. He used a diamond. They rewinded the tape. On the glass, facing the camera, were the painted words, "Get Sherlock" with a smiley face as the "O".

~~~

        I put on a black pull over sweater, with a white dress shirt underneath, a mid-thigh length black skirt, tights, and a pair of black heels. We were headed to Moriarty's trial. Sherlock was a witness. We stopped in front of the door.

        "Ready?" John asked. I grabbed Sherlock's hand.

        'Yes." We were blinded by the camera flashes of the many reporters being pushed back by police officers. We climbed into the police car. 

        'I hate reporters." I muttered. "Sherlock...please don't try to be clever ok? Just answer the questions. No side comments, no retorts, no sarcasm, just short, straight forward answers."

        "I'll just be myself."

        "No. Sherlock, I love you, but yourself is quite the opposite of what I just told you to do." He put his hand on my knee.

~~~

        I took a deep breath as Sherlock sat in the stand.

        "A consulting criminal."

        'Yes."

        'Your words. Can you expand on that answer?""

        "James Moriarty is for hire." Sherlock said. Ok...we're good thus far. 

        "A tradesman?"

        "Yes."

        'But not the sort to fix your heating?" The attorney inquired.

        'No, the sort to plant a bomb, stage an assassination. But I'm sure he'd make a pretty decent job of your boiler." Too long. Come on, Sherlock. 

        "Would you describe him as-"

        'Leading."

        "What?"

        'You can't do that. You're leading the witness." Sherlock looked at me and I shook my head. "He'll object and the judge will uphold."

        'Mr. Holmes." The judge said.

        "Ask me how, how I would describe him. What opinion I've formed of him. They not teach you this?"

        'Mr. Holmes, we're fine without your help."

        "How would you describe this man, his character?"

        'That's your first mistake. James Moriarty isn't a man at all. He's a spider. and spider at the center of a web. criminal web with a thousand threads, and he knows precisely how each and every one of them dances." Sherlock said. 

        "And how long-"

        'No, no, don't do that. That's really not a good question."

        "Mr. Holmes!"

        'How long have I known him? Not really your best line of inquiry. We met twice, five minutes in total, I pulled a gun on him he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something."I face palmed.

        "Miss Sorrel, are you really saying that this man is an expert after knowing the accused for just five minutes?" He's Sherlock Holmes. 

        "Two minutes would make me an expert. Five was ample."

        'Mr. Holmes, that's a matter for the jury!"

        "Oh really." I leaned over to John. 

        "Oh here we go." I muttered.

        "One librarian, two teachers, Two high pressure jobs, probably the city. Foreman's a medical secretary, trained abroad judging by her shorthand."

        "Mr. Holmes!"

        "Seven are married and two are having an affair, with each other it would seem. Oh and they just had tea and biscuits, would you like to know who ate the wafer?"

        'Mr. Holmes! You have been called here to answer Miss Sorrel's questions, not to give us a display of your intellectual prowess. Keep your answers brief and to the point." The judge scolded."Anything else will be treated as contempt. Do you think you could survive for just a few minutes without showing off!" He opened his mouth to speak.