Chapter 8: Two Words: Rias's Call

Start from the beginning

It was lonely in here.

Is that what Madoka felt?

I snapped back into reality and dialed the number. I sat in a chair, waiting for an answer.

???: Hello, what can I do for you?

Rias: Hello. I'm calling to meet with MT6410?

???: Alright I will send you to him right now.

I felt nervous when I was hearing the nonstop ringing. Just who was on the other line. My question was answered with a voice.

???: H-Hello?

I just sat there, shocked.

There's not way...

It couldn't be. Could it?!

Rias: Madoka?!

Madoka: Hey Rias.

3rd Person POV
Rias felt tears stream down her face. Her first pawn was awake and talking to her. She cried her eyes out just for hearing his voice.

Rias: *crying* M-Madoka.....*sobs*MADOKA!!!

Rias couldn't find any other words than to say his name.

Madoka: How are you doing Rias?

Rias: *crying* N-No! I should be the one asking that! I missed you so much! What happened?!

Madoka: I just got attacked when I wasn't paying attention, that's pretty much it.

Rias: *still crying* W-Why didn't you tell us?!

Madoka: Tell you what?

Rias: Why didn't you tell us that you left?! I thought you went stray!

Madoka: I didn't think I'd be attacked! I went to go clear my head!

There was a brief silence before Rias spoke.

Rias: How are you right now?

Madoka: Well, I'm a little beat up. But my bones have made a great recovery. Hospital still isn't ready to release me yet.

Rias: I-I see.

Madoka: Rias, can I ask you something.

Rias: U-Uh yeah, go ahead.

Madoka:.......Are you afraid of me?

Rias stood in silence. She didn't want to admit that she had a fear of confronting Madoka.

Rias: W-What are you talking about?

Madoka: Sirzechs told me. He told me what happened with Issei.

Rias was shocked. She wasn't expecting Sirzechs's name to be brought into this. Nor the fact that Madoka knows what happened.

Madoka: I'm sorry to hear that he cheated. It just proves that he's not worthy of you.

Rias had a small blush on her cheeks from that statement.

Rias: Thank you for that.

Madoka: No problem. But back to my question from earlier. Are you afraid of me?

Rias sat shaking. She could stop, she felt more tears ready to run.

Rias: *shakily* Y-Y-Yes. I-I'm scared.

Madoka: What's wrong? What are you scared of?

Rias: *starts to cry* I-I'm scared, of you. I-I'm afraid that y-you *voice crack* hate me now.

Madoka: Hey Rias, calm down. Why would I hate you.

Rias: *sobs loudly* BECAUSE I HURT YOU!!! *sobs* EVERY DAY, EVER SINCE YOU WERE IN THE HOSPITAL, *sobs* I FELT SO MUCH SHAME FOR FAWNING THAT DRAGON AND IGNORING YOU! I NEVER STOPPED CRYING WHEN I HEARD YOU FELL INTO A COMA! *sobs* BUT IT WASN'T JUST ME, *sobs* MY ACTIONS BROKE THE PEERAGE APART! *sobs* I'M SCARED! I'M SCARED THAT YOU HATE ME NOW AND THAT YOU'LL LEAVE US! *sobs* M-MADOKA, I'M SO SORRY!

Rias continued to cry for a couple minutes before finally calming down. When she did, Madoka spoke.

Madoka: You know Sirzechs offered me a chance to become a free devil right?

Rias looked down, she felt her depression hit one of her lowest.

Rias: *depressed* I-I see. *sniffles* I-I understand that you hate me now. *sniffles* I-If you think it's best to leave, t-then I won't stop you. It's my fault that we got to this situation.

Madoka: Rias. I declined the offer.

Rias looked up in shock.

Rias: B-But why? I-I neglected you, I hurt you.

Madoka: That maybe so, but you forgot one thing out of this.

Madoka took a deep breath.

Madoka: You saved my life. I owe everything to you. I'm not just Madoka Terada. I'm a pawn for Rias Gremory. I swore to serve and protect her and the rest of the peerage.....

Rias felt her heart warm and she felt more tears run down her face as she heard the last part.

Madoka:.....even if it means I have to lay down my life to do it. So how can I hate someone who gave me a second chance at life? Or someone I care about more than nearly everyone?

Rias just sat in her chair, and cried. She didn't cry because Madoka was leaving. She cried because he chose to stay.

Rias: *crying* M-Madoka.....

The next words Madoka heard broke his heart in the best way he could want.

Rias: *crying*.....t-thank you......for staying.

Madoka didn't say anything but he felt his tears slide down his face.

Madoka: Y-Yeah, no problem.

There was a brief silence, and Madoka spoke again.

Madoka: R-Rias? Can you promise me something?

Rias: Y-Yeah, I can.

Madoka: Stay the amazing woman you are okay? That's the beautiful red head I was saved by. The same one the helped me out of a murdered tribe.

Rias: I-I will.

Madoka: I-I gotta go, have a good night.

Rias: Thank you. You as well.

The two hung up and with Madoka. He closed his eyes. And smiled, as tears continued to fall down his face.

Madoka POV
Two words.

Two words I've wanted to hear for a long time.

I didn't care that it was two, those two words had meant more than a million to me.

Madoka's Mind: (Thank you....that's all I've ever wanted since Issei came.)

I looked up and had one last thought on my mind.

The last person I had to speak to in the peerage.

.....Akeno.

Rias POV
After I hung up, I cried to myself again. But it wasn't tears of sadness or regret. It was tears or gratefulness.

I was grateful, that Madoka didn't leave.

Because unlike the bastard emperor who hasn't returned back yet.

He chose to stay, after everything that happened.

I felt my heart beat fast and I put it over my heart.

Rias's Mind: (Am I.....feeling this for Madoka? I-I don't think I can. But I don't want to ignore this feeling.)

I then realized something I promised him.

Rias's Mind: (If Madoka is staying strong for us, then we need to be strong for him.)

After telling myself that. I remembered the grateful feeling I had earlier, when he forgave me.

Rias's Mind: (Madoka.....I'm ready to see him again.)