"This isn't too awkward, right?" Dallon said, walking in step with Brendon. They were together for the first time since Spencer's break down. That had become a measure of time for everybody. Things had changed so much.

Tyler and Josh had basically disappeared from the group chat. They had clarified that they were fine, and at this point only talked to each other. They had reiterated the clarification that they had decided they were better off as friends and everything that had happened between them in Houston to everybody again, just so they would all be on the same page. Tyler had then said that he was done with drama, agreed with Spencer, and declared that he would be busy for the next few weeks. Josh had virtually nodded, apologized because he acknowledged that he had contributed to everything going on as well, then checked out to see his family.

Pete and Patrick were pretending like they weren't arguing anymore. They had said that they were making amends with each other but weren't sure if anything would ever be the same between them again.

Pete had elaborated that he had gotten jealous over some girl that Patrick had met and had said a few petty things in the heat of the moment and Patrick finally called Pete out about his feelings and it had spiraled and spiraled until Pete had called Patrick an attention whore that had enjoyed stringing him along and Patrick had called Pete a controlling bastard who couldn't bear to see him happy. They weren't okay, even now.

Spencer was bending himself over backwards trying to make up for destroying everything. They all had told him that it wasn't just his fault, that the stress had gotten to him, that it was everybody's responsibility, that they forgave him, that they understood.

Taylor, Jon, Geoff, Otto, and both Ryans had banded together and resolved to improve bonds and friendships and make everything better this time around. They couldn't fix the past, but they could make the present a good experience.

Brendon and Dallon were somewhere in the middle. Brendon had been the one to invite Dallon out for lunch today so they could discuss everything with the distraction of food right there if things got complicated.

"No, it doesn't feel too awkward. You don't need to worry so much, Dal," Brendon said, trying his best to soothe the man who was tentatively trying to make some sort of conversation as they walked down the avenue that the restaurant was located on. Brendon purposefully ignored how Dallon had begun to smile when he had referred to Dallon with the nickname. He wished that Dallon was over him already. Things wouldn't be so confusing if that was the reality of their situation.

"Okay, good," Dallon said, sighing in relief, his shoulders sinking from where they had been held high with tension.

"Table for two?" the waitress asked and Brendon nodded. Dallon thanked her politely, and she led them to their table.

"So, what should we address first? And before you apologize, I know, and you're fine. You don't need to apologize. I'm sorry too. I messed up too." Brendon said, a preamble of sorts to the conversation that they both knew had to be had in person instead of over their previously neglected text messages.

"We both did, didn't we?"

"Look at the state of our friend group. I'm pretty sure every single one of us fucked up one way or another." Brendon said, shaking his head grimly. He regretted so much, everybody regretted so much. It used to be so simple, just people hanging out and laughing. And now it was a mess. This is why he hadn't used to put effort into his relationships with people. It always ended poorly and ended up hurting him. Brendon wasn't sure why he was actually trying to fix it with Dallon this time, but he would figure it out. Eventually.

"Yeah," Dallon laughed, but it was short and sounded more like a scoff than anything else.

"Out of totally not self-possessed curiosity, how long?" Brendon started off. Dallon almost asked what Brendon had meant, but he knew. How long had his feelings been going on for. He would have asked the same thing.