32. Glass and blood

Maddie's POV

I run toward the Sanders' car as best as I can in my heels. I forgot my jacket in Hailey's car which I regret now because it's slowly starting to rain.

Some onlookers get out of their cars as well, just watching, but others rush toward the car where Mike Sanders opens his door, stumbling out and onto the pavement holding his head.

Well, I guess this is one way to meet Elias' parents.

"Mr. Sanders? Are you alright?" I ask, not daring to get too close, much less touch him.

The blond man nods slightly as he grimaces in pain. "My family..."

I take that as a yes and spin around to open Elias' door while some of the people standing around start whispering about Mike Sanders.

"It's really him, isn't it?" one woman says.

"Of course, look at him," another one says.

"Hmm, I don't know, I don't think Mike Sanders has glasses," a small man adds, bending down to look at Mr. Sanders' face.

If it weren't for my worry for Elias and April I would tell the people off for not just helping Mr. Sanders rather than guessing whether or not he's the real Mike Sanders or not.

"Elias, oh my God...are you okay?" I ask, now concentrating on Elias.

He slowly unbuckles his seatbelt, looking dazed, and nods. "I-I think I'm fine."

He seems rather calm considering he was just in an accident, but then, as if my thought jinxed it, he starts panicking and at first I don't know why but then my eyes land on April who's unconsciously slumped forward in her seat, leaning into her seatbelt.

Blood is trickling down the side of her face and I can make out several small cuts all over her face and neck.

Glass litters the space around her and some shards are even in her hair.

She sat on the right side which is where the other car hit them, meaning she must have taken most of the hit.

"April? April!" Elias says, frantically getting out of the car.

I steady him when he almost trips and help him make his way around the car to where he opens April's door which looks nothing like a car door anymore because it's so damaged.

Elias has some trouble opening it at first, but then, after some yanking and desperate groaning he manages to open it.

"April? Can you hear me?" he asks, carefully taking his sister's face into his hands.

His face is contorted into some pained and worried grimace and when April doesn't answer, he unbuckles her seatbelt and slowly pulls her out of the car.

"Call 911!" he whines.

"Ian and Hailey are already taking care of that," I say, trying to stay calm. My heart is beating in my chest so hard I think I can actually hear it.

Elias takes a shaky breath and nods. "Here hold her for a second," he says.

I almost collapse under April's weight as Elias hands her over, but I manage to steady myself just in time, slipping my arms under the sixteen-year-old's shoulders to keep her from falling over.

Her once flawless white dress is now stained red at the collar because the blood trailing down the side of her face and neck finally managed to seep into the fabric.

I pant and watch as Elias takes off his jacket and lays it onto the ground before he finally takes April from me again.

I help him lay her down onto his jacket and then awkwardly stand back as he puts her into the recovery position.