Chapter 43- Summer Holidays

It wasn't that Silver didn't enjoy spending time with James. She absolutely adored her friend, and no one could make her stop. It was just that James was annoying.

"James, leave that poor girl alone!" Mrs. Potter scolded as James played with Silver's hair while she read. She had been ignoring James' plea of going outside and throwing a quaffle around. They had already done that yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that. She decided as soon as she woke up that she would spend at least one solid hour reading and enjoying her books. James, apparently, had different plans.

The boy pouted and looked at his mother, "But I'm bored, and she's reading."

Euphemia raised an unimpressed brow and put a hand on her hip, "Perhaps you should follow her lead. We've got quite the collection of books in the library—"

"-oh that room's full of rubbish-"

"-you only say that because you haven't looked through it properly," Silver cut the boy off. She flipped a page and looked over the book at her friend. She smirked smugly. "Obviously."

Mrs. Potter laughed as James made a whining noise and threw himself over Silver's lap dramatically. The girl just lifted her text and then plopped it on James' stomach.

"Is that one from the library, dear?" James' mother asked.

Silver nodded with a small smile, "I was eyeing it for a while before I finally decided to read it. It's quite fascinating. It's about how some wizards experimented with different objects to channel their magic and what forms of magic worked best with different vessels. Did you know that using salamander blood with a—"

"Did you know that sometimes you can be a dreadful bore?" James flicked Silver's hand. He grinned sheepishly as Silver glared down at him. "What? I thought we were sharing facts."

Mrs. Potter snorted in amusement and then sighed, "Alright, well I'm going to be up in the study going over some business. Your father should be back home early tonight for dinner. Don't you two dare bother Ezzy. She's been working hard for tonight. I don't want dinner with the Order to go south again. Merlin knows I don't need the Prewett brothers setting fire to my tablecloth over a spider crawling out of the food again..." She gave them a stern, knowing look at the last comment before heading down the hall to the study.

James chuckled as Silver's lips twitched up into a proud smile. That had been her and James' small joke in rebellion for not being allowed near the Order meeting. Neither of the two had known that Fabian and Gideon shared such a huge fear of spiders and would go as far as to shoot incendio at the poor arthropod. They had burst out into loud laughter outside the dining room up until Mr. Potter came rounding at the two in fury. They were not allowed to leave the house or have Peter over for a week, but it had been totally worth it. The two had snickered the entire way up to their bedrooms even though they missed out on their dessert.

They had gotten a day break off their punishments, though, as Silver's birthday was on June 27th. They obviously had to have cake on her fourteenth birthday. She had received a basket of chocolate from Remus- salted caramel as it was her favorite- and her very own set of exploding snap cards from Peter. James and his parents had gotten Silver her very own broom, to which the girl cried out that they must return it at once. After short convincing, the girl accepted her gift and giddily rode the broom around the backyard for hours, racing James over and over. While she felt ashamed to receive such a nice gift from her friend and his parents, she couldn't deny her excitement and relief to have a nice broom for her first year officially on the Gryffindor quidditch team. A seeker needs their own broom.