Chapter 22: SDF-1, Defender of the Earth

Start from the beginning

"I thought that's what you wanted to go by at work, so people can stop confusing you and Matt?" Kaite raised an eyebrow.

"Did I..? huh... I can't remember..." Mathia rubbed the back of his head.

"Well... anyway, the new episode of that cartoon came out today! Wanna swing by and watch it with me?" She asked, changing the topic.

Mathias sat and thought about it for a moment before shrugging, "sure, I need to get away from here anyway. How soon can you have it ready?"

"In about 5 minutes, and I'll make popcorn!" She smirked.

"Alright! Meet you then!" Katie waved, then the screen fell silent. He sighed, then turned back on his comms again.

"Aigaion 1 to all units, continue your searches and report back to me by 0800 tomorrow. I'm heading out," Mathias called out as his fighter swung around and headed back for Macross City and the Galaxy Garrison. As he flew back to Macross City, he could see the ruined landscape below him rush past. It was sad to see his 'home' being entirely obliterated. Another call caught his attention, this time from an engineer we worked alongside with in the reconstruction of the Macross. He pressed a button, and an older gentleman appeared on the screen.

"What's the sitrep, Director Johnston?" Mathias asked.

"Not looking good I'm afraid, and your fears have been confirmed, and then some," the gentleman replied.

Mathias stared at him for a few moments, then slowly nodded, "I... I see... thank you for informing me." He nodded before the screen went back. Great, more to add on to his problems.

When he approached the industrial city, he slowed when he approached the bridge of the Macross. Transforming to GERWALK mode, he slowly raised up to the orange glass of the bridge. He smiled softly, the engineers did what he asked and kept the original color and style of the glass. He looked above the glass and stared as the new designation painted on it.

"SDF-1 Macross," he read out loud at the new designation

"SDF-1 Macross," he read out loud at the new designation. He wasn't too happy that everyone agreed to change the name, but he guessed it was a better way to differentiate the Macross to the Galaxy Garrison. Every ship of the Macross line was literally called 'Macross' for the most part anway, so what did it really matter? Breaking away from the Macross, the Major made his way to the Garrison HQ.

Upon arriving at the HQ building, he landed the fighter in a field nearby several large apartment-like buildings at the edges of the Garrison. He opened the canopy and jumped out of the cockpit and onto the ground below, taking off into the Garrison. Running down several corridors, he finally got to where he needed to be, out of breath and slightly sweating. He raised his hand and knocked on the door. A few moments later, Katie opened the door, wearing a light blue shirt and pigtails for her hair.

"Finally, you arrived!" She playfully punched his arm, prompting a giggle from the pilot.

Mathias gave a pitiful huff, "sorry, the other pilots are still nervous and need a lot of training. At least Baker is competent enough..." he slumped forward in exhaustion.