8- The Rescue

"Ice Queen, you will avenge us! Now use your powers and show no mercy!"

I look around, trying to find an escape; any way out of this possible. I don't want to hurt anyone, even if they had been hurting me for as long as I have been around. Suddenly, a familiar voice booms out.

"Y/n, it's okay. I know what it's like to have everyone think that you're someone you're not. You didn't have a choice; don't let them make you agree with their perceptions of you."

I turn around, and there he is among all the chaos, metal arm extended out towards me. As I reach out, I'm not scared anymore.

My eyes slowly open. It's been two days since I met up with Bucky, and I've made a miraculous recovery from my "illness". I've been having these strange dreams ever since then. I try to forget about it, and head downstairs. I take a seat next to Wanda, who seems to never leave Vision's side lately. We're eating breakfast when Tony arrives, much to everyone's surprise.

"What are you doing here?" Sam asks.

"Good to see you too, Bird Man" Tony remarks, taking off his sunglasses. "What, I'm not allowed to visit my own compound?"

"We all missed you" I encourage him. "But seriously, is there a mission we should know about?"

"Glad you asked, Frosty the Snowman" he responds. "Technically, no. Yet, I have been given a task since as always, I do everything. Pepper, the crazy woman she is... don't tell her I said that, by the way... heard about your weirdo condition the other day, thinks you got some sort of cabin fever. She wants you to come stay with us for a day or two, see some other parts of the humble planet called Earth. Basically, I've come to rescue you."

I nod thoughtfully, then look at Wanda for advice. "Hm. She could be right, actually. You've been here for a while now, and have barely been out of the compound" she says through bites of her breakfast. Some of the others nod in agreement.

"But what if we need her for a mission or... something!" Steve protests. I give him a look that says "You can handle everything for a few days, I doubt we'll hear any Bucky news". If only he knew where I'd actually been... He sighs. "Fine. I guess we could always call you. Just got used to you being around" he says. Steve and I do talk a lot... I guess besides Sam, I'm the only one he can be completely honest with.

"Then it's settled!" Tony says, clapping his hands together. "Go get your stuff together. No weird spacey stuff though."

"Says the guy who dresses up in an iron suit" I remark as I walk upstairs.

______

The drive to Tony's house isn't too far. A man named Happy, his body guard, drives us there. I notice him staring at me through the rear view mirror, deep in thought for a while before he finally speaks his mind. "Wait, are you the mythological goddess y/n, or is that a different y/n?"

"You cracked the code, Happy. Thor has two sisters with the same name, same powers, and same title. Nice one." Tony chimes in.

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"I'm afraid that's one you've gotta figure out on your own, Hap. Doesn't matter anyway, we're here."

I look out the window, which reveals a the biggest house I've ever seen. Pepper is waiting for us in the driveway, and gives me a hug when I get out of the car. Tony opens his arms for her to give him one, too, but she just rolls her eyes and walks past him, leading me inside. The inside of the house is just as extravagant as the outside.

Tony tells me I can go explore the grounds, which takes me a good few hours. There's more technology here than there is people in Asgard. Finally, I find Tony's office, where he's working on some new suit, projections of text, measurements, and blueprints surrounding every corner. After a minute, he notices me there.

"There you are! Forgot to tell you, you and I are going on a mini-mission tonight. Got a source on this guy I've been looking for. It's a ball sort of thing, Pepper will take you dress shopping if you're into that sort of thing" he mentions casually.

"Alright, I'm in. Who are we going after?"

"Some dude apparently connected to HYDRA, went off the grid for a while. They call him the winter... something."

No, no, no... Please let it be someone else... "The winter soldier?" I hesitate.

"Yeah, yeah that. All we know is that he has some sort of metal arm. How'd you know?"

"Uh, lucky guess. I'm gonna go... look for a dress" I say, trying to hide the alarm I'm feeling. This is very bad. 

_______

A few hours later, I'm wearing a light pink ball gown with sleeves that go off my shoulder and a tulle bottom that flows out from under me. Pepper had people come curl my hair and pull my front pieces into loose braids, since I have to "look the part". If I'm being honest, I don't mind at all; even at home, I love these types of gatherings. I would probably be a lot more excited if I didn't have to complete a secret rescue mission. When I get into the limo next to Tony, he must sense my nerves because he says "Don't be so nervous, kid. I got your back" as if that was the problem. I nod to him, and we talk casually for the rest of the ride.

We arrive at a huge ballroom filled with people. Tables surround a circular area in the middle of the room, and an orchestra plays towards the end of it. It takes me a minute to realize that almost everyone is speaking in Russian. Luckily, I know over 200 languages. After Tony and I are showed to our private table, I tell him I'm going to find the bathroom and excuse myself. I scan the room, silently praying that the source Tony got was wrong. Sadly, it takes me much quicker than I thought it would've to pick out Bucky from the rest of the crowd, talking quietly to another man. I try to blend in with the rest of the crowd as I make my way over to them. When I finally get close enough, I grab Bucky by the wrist, making him jump. He turns quickly to me, blinking in surprise.

"Excuse us" I say in Russian to the man he was talking to, who leaves instantly without question. Intimidation has its benefits, once again. I hold his wrist closer to my face, making sure he covered his metal arm. At least Tony won't find him at first glance. Although I must say, he does stand out in his black suit and long white gloves. Not as a criminal though; he easily is the most striking man in the room. It distracts me for a moment, then I remember what I'm here for. 

"Please tell me you have an actual reason for showing yourself to the whole entire world" I demand.

For a moment, I think that I've distracted him as well, because he looks me up and down a few times before clearing his throat.

"Information... which you just lost me" he grumbles.

"Well then, do enlighten me on what was so important that you allowed SHEILD to find you here somehow" I whisper, catching him off guard.

"Wait, are you..."

"No dumb ass, I'm trying to save you. Or maybe you'd prefer I just leave you to get taken again" I say, angry for some reason that he would think I was here to capture him.

"Oh, you'd like that wouldn't you, princess?" he shoots back.

"No, but it seems like you would enjoy it if I get kicked off the planet for lying to every person I know for this." 

The phone that I still barely know how to use chimes. It's a text from Tony.

U get lost or something ?

Long line, be back soon.

Whatevs.

I look back up at Bucky, who stares curiously at me. I turn around and start to walk away. Then, I spin back around, and he's still staring. I sigh.

"You coming or not?"