Chapter One: Cries in the Darkness (under Edit)

Start from the beginning

"Gone......... beyond the world, beyond time and space. I fear...... he will never return." and burst into tears again. He held her close, her slight frame quivering in his arms and he called for her bedrobe and some Chamomile tea. Faenith quickly brought it to him and he draped it around her shoulders and shortly after Gelben arrived with a goblet of hot tea.

After a few sips of tea Thorwen calmed and was able to explain her dream. "I saw the darkened ruins of some ancient underground city. Figures running and fighting in the torchlight, pursued by Orcs and something much...... much larger." Tears fell again as she told of Mithrandir holding off the fearsome creature on a bridge with powerful spells and incantations. Then the bridge broke sending Mithrandir and the creature falling into a great pit but they continued to fight. "Then I saw his lifeless body on the top of a great mountain and I could not stop screaming!!"

A stunned silence crept around the chamber. Thranduil's thoughts then turned to the fellowship and he shuddered. A ruined underground city southward could only mean one thing. He turned to Calenamath, not wishing to believe it. "Moria." Calenamath's stony expression told him his suspicions were correct.

"What is Moria?" asked Thorwen.

"You might know it by the name of Khad Dum, it was an ancient Dwarven City long ago in the southern Misty mountains. It was abandoned centuries ago. Though a few years back a group of Dwarves were said to have returned to start a new colony. But I paid it little heed. They were dwarves and had nothing to do with my realm. But you said, you saw others and must ask, was Legolas among them?"

"Alas, it was only Mithrandir I saw clearly. The others were in shadow." 

(under Edit)

Calenamath continued with his report. The Beornings had been searching for Radagast, but he had not returned to his dwelling. "There has been increased Spider and Orc activity in that area too." He turned to Thorwen, his expression grim. "They fear the worst. I am sorry."

Thorwen fixed him with her steely gaze. "He is not dead!"

"It is good to have hope, Thorwen."

"He is my brother. He is not dead, But I fear he is trapped somewhere, all I feel is darkness.."

"Everyone is doing all they can Thorwen. But we must now focus on the defence of our own realm," said Thranduil.

Thranduil pondered his words for a moment be replying. "I shall order all those who cannot bear arms must seek refuge within the Elven Halls. Everyone else must prepare for the worst. I shall put Corwen in charge of improving defences around the Gates. Is there anything further you require?"

"I will need more troops along the Elven way. The spiders are increasing their encroachment there."

Thranduil promised to send a contingent of archers for the task before Calenamath took his leave of them.

"Do you feel you are strong enough? I fear it will use much of your will."

"I have to try. It is only a matter of time before Sauron's servants try again and the darkness is right up to our borders. We can delay things no longer."

 We must go to the stone circle and soon."

"If what you say is true, then they have gone below the mountain into the Dwarven city of Moria. If Mithrandir is truly dead, let us hope his sacrifice was not in vain and the others have escaped the mountain." Their worst fears were confirmed a few days later when word was received from Lothlórien. Legolas had arrived with seven companions, Mithrandir was lost. But worst news was to come, as Legolas sent word that he would not be returning to the Woodland realm and had decided to continue to Mordor with his companions. Thranduil was devastated. His son his only child, was putting his life at risk for a hopeless cause. His only comfort now was Thorwen.