prologue

Now nobody's saying the Chatsworth estate is the garden of Eden

Now nobody's saying the Chatsworth estate is the garden of Eden... at least I don't think they are, but it's been a good home to us, to me - Frank Gallagher, and me' kids, who I'm proud of, cos every single one of them reminds me a little of me.

They can all think for themselves, which they've me to thank for.

Fiona, whose a big help, massive help.
Lip, whose a bit of a gobshite which is why nobody calls him Philip anymore.
Ian, lot like his 'mam which is handy for the others cos she's disappeared into thin air, and good luck to her!
Carl, we daren't let him grow his hair for two reasons 1) it stands on end and makes him look like Toyah and 2) nits love it.
Debbie! Sent by God, total angel - you've to check your change but she'll go miles out of her way to do you a favour.
Plus Liam - little rock n roller, gonna be a star - once we've got the fits under control...
A few things, see, are vital to a half-decent community. Space! You need wide open spaces where everyone goes mental! And neighbourliness!

Fantastic neighbours Kev and Veronica, lend you anything, well, not anything.
We even have the local mob ticked off with the Maguires, beefy but not very many brains. The youngest has those eyes.. the kind that with a few bats of her eyelashes, you'd sign your whole life away and thank her for the pleasure.

But, all of em, to a man, know first and foremost, one of the vital necessities in life is, they know how to throw a PARTEH!

~ frank gallagher