Six.

I've just finished packing my bag for the night when Ava's white Lexus pulls into the driveway, right on schedule. It takes everything I have to keep my breathing steady as I lock the front door behind me.

"Okay, your place is incredible," She says as I open the passenger door.

"Right? It's actually my brother Elliot's, but he's letting me stay for a bit until he rents it out," I explain. Ava backs the car up, and we speed off onto the road.

"Wait, Darling Ave? Isn't this the same road where that fire happened last week?"

With everything going on, I almost forgot about the fire completely - and forgot that it was all over the news.

"I was the one who reported it," I tell her.

"For real? Damn. I wonder if they have any idea who did it. Knowing Laurelwood, it was probably someone trying to claim the insurance money."

The image of the person in the black hoodie among the flames flashes through my head again, and I make a mental note that I still have to stop by the police station to pick up my camera - it took me months to save up for it.

"I need alcohol in my system, ASAP" I announce.

"Lucky for you, I have some extra vodka we can prepare with before we head out. Plus, Blaise usually has a full bar, and anybody can take what they want," she explains.

"Who is Blaise, anyway? Have you been friends with him for a long time?" I ask.

"Blaise is a Laurelwood native, too. We met back in high school. He's kind of friends with everybody - I don't think I've ever heard of him getting in any fights or being involved in any drama. His family, the Langford's, are like uber rich, so his parents travel a lot, and they don't mind him having guests over as long as the housekeepers clean up afterwards."

An empty house and free alcohol - I can understand why everybody gets along with Blaise.

"Oh, and apparently he knows your roomie," Ava's face twists into a devious smile.

"How unlucky for him." I resist the urge to ask questions and find out more - anything - about Crispen.

"I mean, yeah he's kind of a dick, but you have to admit he's pretty hot, right? I mean the tattoos and the nail polish, it kind of works."

I can feel my face burning up and my stomach flutter at Ava's admission, and try to avoid answering her question.

"Is this your subtle way of asking if I'm gay?"

"Hey, after the way I saw you two staring at each other during class, I couldn't be sure if it was love or hate," she teases, winking at me.

So Crispen was watching me, too.

"Crispen is the furthest thing from attractive to me. Physically, sure, but his attitude completely ruins it. I don't know what his problem is with me - maybe he's homophobic or something." I turn my face to the window, hoping for a change of subject as we pass by the downtown shops. There are quite a few people on the sidewalks for a Monday evening. One woman in a long fur coat struggles to keep her tiny dog from barking at every person that walks by, her Starbucks dripping down onto her gloved hand.

"Boy, are you for real? Crispen himself has slept with most of the guys at Laurelwood U," Ava remarks. Her words raise the hairs along my arms and the base of my neck.

My head whips back towards her.

"Crispen is gay?" I ask, hoping Ava doesn't notice my choked voice.

"I mean, he could be bisexual. I don't think he's ever had an actual romantic relationship in his life, but he's definitely got a type - sweet, innocent, pretty - and male. Blaise thinks you could be his next target," she laughs. I can't seem to feel my fingers anymore and take a deep breath, masking it as disgust. Thoughts race through my head at a dizzying rate. Did Crispen's glances in the classroom actually mean something? Could the dangerous allure be not completely one sided?