Aygul quickly shut the box when Ceyda arrived. "What are you doing here, Ceyda? Weren't you resting?"

Ceyda ignored her questions. "What did Alisar want? Why is that dog selling you jewelry?"

Aygul sighed. She didn't tell Ceyda about her engagement to Alisar as she was afraid of how she would react. Now that she witnessed the scene, there was no point in hiding it. "I... am engaged to Alisar Bey."

Ceyda froze. She furrowed her brow and squinted her eyes at her. "Ne? "

Aygul nodded, then shut her eyes. It was clear she was not happy with this.

Ceyda set aside her shock. "D-did you want this? Who-"

"My father did it."

Ceyda clenched her jaw, "Excuse me while I go straighten out your father."

Aygul held her back. "Wait, Ceyda. I accepted..."

Ceyda watched Aygul, searching for a lie, but there was none. She rubbed Aygul's arms, "Are you happy?"

Aygul looked away, "It is for the good of our tribe... I'm fine."

Ceyda shook her head, "Don't sacrifice yourself for this tribe, Aygul."

"You did it."

"I-Well that was different. I wasn't marrying some Mongol d- Alisar..."

Aygul stayed quiet and stared down at the box, so Ceyda continued, "Whatever your decision... whatever you feel... know that I am with you. I will stand by you. Never worry. And if that dog puts a hand on you, know that he will face my wrath. Tamam? "

The corners of Aygul's mouth twitched slightly. She was always fond of Ceyda's protective state. She nodded, "Thank you... I don't know how I will ever repay yo-"

"Ah, it's no problem." Ceyda stared down at the box excitedly, then slowly reached out her hand to grab it. Aygul saw and playfully smacked her hand away. Ceyda groaned, "At least let me see if he put in any poison." Aygul shoved the box into Ceyda's hands-who did not waste a second to analyze the jewelry inside-and stomped up the balcony stairs.

"Vai..." Ceyda pulled out the gold and ruby jewelled earrings, then quickly shoved them back into the box. "Stupid Ceyda... what are you doing?" she scolded herself, clutching the box as she headed for Aygul's room when she heard Saltuk and Dundar discussing Osman's end. She stopped and entered the room, which was right across from where they were standing, keeping the door a little open so she could hear.

"Geyhatu sent a big army. It is said that they will arrive before sunset," Saltuk informed.

"Alisar Bey sent Zorba to Gunduz to invite him to his mansion. When Gunduz arrives, he will be punished, and the tribe will be mine again. This day is the reckoning day."

Ceyda had heard enough for now. She quietly shut the door and frantically searched the room for something to write with. After noting down the little information, she heard another man's voice. Alisar. She waited to see if anyone would enter the room. No one did. Ceyda inched closer to the door and opened it slightly.

"I want to set up my order as Sanjak Bey."

Ceyda rolled her eyes. Sanjak Bey... more like a Mongol's flag.

"You're doing what is your right," Dundar agreed.

"I want to ruin Gunduz now. Go back to the tribe as a Bey. Govern the Kayi Tribe again."

Ceyda widened her eyes, then shook her head as Dundar agreed. He's using you, emmi. He's using you. Open your eyes.

"What are we going to do about Osman, Alisar Bey? And there is Balgay. If I take the Bey's tent, Osman's response to that is obvious. Balgay is our enemy too. They can establish an alliance with Osman. We may have to fight with both forces."

Alliance, Ceyda thought, thinking of what it could mean. Osman... you genius.

"If Osman and Balgay are in an alliance... then it means the end times are here."

"Don't say it can't happen, Alisar Bey. I... saw a lot of things in this life."

"Then, we will teach them both a lesson. Geyhatu is with us. He wants Osman and Genghis Khan's laws from us. The important thing is that you stand strong as a rock."

"Then... Gunduz should go to the dungeon when he arrives, huh? He should die if needed. He should see what comes with running over me and taking the Bey's tent. Then, it is Osman and Balgay's turn."

Ceyda balled her fists. What are you saying, emmi? She wasted no time writing down everything and tucked the paper inside her belt. She needed to send the news to Gunduz and Bamsi Bey. And fast.

She waited for Alisar and Dundar to leave before heading out of the room. Making sure Alisar and Dundar hadn't spotted her, she treaded lightly down the opposite balcony stairs, heading for the back door of the kiosk. She would go fast and come back fast. If Dundar was taking over the tribe, he and his family would be leaving the kiosk soon. And she would need to be there when they did. Without trying to draw too much attention to herself, she started to slip out of the kiosk using the back door she spotted earlier. Right when she was about to leave, Saltuk came into sight. Cursing, she changed her direction. He saw her too and tried to avoid her. The last encounter with her was when he obeyed Zohre Hatun's command and hid the fact that she injured her. However, his conscience stopped him from running away and pretending it never happened. "Ceyda!" he called.

Ceyda squeezed her eyes shut. "Go ahead. Let everyone know I'm here," she muttered before walking over to see what Saltuk wanted.

He looked hesitant at first but spoke, "I wanted to apologize... for your injury."

Ceyda squinted at him, "You will have to be more specific than that. I have many injuries."

"I was involved in your head injury... when you went into the coma. This sin has been haunting me ever since. I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?"

Ceyda nodded her head in understanding, thinking whether she should accept it. "No."

Saltuk hung his head, and Ceyda continued, "Unless..." Saltuk's ears perked up. "You do me a favour."

"Anything. Anything to get this burden off me."

Ceyda held up a finger, signalling for him to be quiet and looked around. They were alone. "I need to leave this mansion... quickly and quietly. No one should know. I will be back before anyone notices, but if they do, tell them I'm strolling through the bazaar." Saltuk looked reluctant. "Please, Saltuk. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important. Besides, you hurt me. If you want to get this burden off your back and be at ease with my forgiveness, you need to do this."

Saltuk thought about it for a little, then nodded. "Wait, you can't go like this." He gestured to her dress. She looked down, then up at him, "No one will notice."

"Everyone will notice. You look like the sun."

"Thank-"

"It's not supposed to be a compliment." Ceyda blinked at him. "Wait a moment. I will get you a cloak."

"There's no time."

"It'll be quick. Just stay here." He rushed to get her a cloak as Ceyda watched after him. "Where else would I go?" she mumbled, looking around to make sure she was alone.

After what seemed like forever to Ceyda, Saltuk finally came back with an article of dark clothing under his arm. He passed it over to Ceyda who quickly started putting it on. "You took forever."

"I was only gone for a minute," Saltuk defended, helping her wear the cloak.

She pulled the hood over her head and thanked him before rushing towards the exit as Saltuk looked around to make sure no one else saw.

She speedily walked through the busy bazaar and mounted the horse taken out for her before, riding towards the tribe.

Her tribe. 

---

Oof that 'nightmare...' 😏 Foreshadowing...?

Vote + comment!