10

I kicked my legs over the side of the bed I sat in. Once again, Kelsey stayed silent. It made the room feel stuffy.

Kelsey looked at her phone as we waited for the doctor to come in. She didn't pay much attention to me though it wasn't like I could leave the room or cause any trouble. I wasn't in the mood to fight.

The door opened and Dr. Owens stepped inside the room. He wore his white lab coat once again and had something in a white pharmacy bag. My stomach turned at the thought of what it could be.

"Good morning, Lyla. Mrs. Cameron." He said, nodding to Kelsey. "I won't keep you long."

I kept my eyes on him as he walked to the small counter in the corner of the room. He removed a syringe from its packaging then stuck it into a small bottle of yellowish liquid.

"What is that?"

"It's nothing you need to be concerned with."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "If it involves me then it is something I need to be concerned with. I'm not letting you stick something in me when I don't know what it does."

"Lyla, that's enough." Kelsey said, watching me with dark eyes.

"Screw you." I didn't expect to be so angry but once it was out, I couldn't stop it.

"Lyla, do you understand the severity of your actions?" Dr. Owen's asked. He turned to face me. I expected him to be angry but he wore the perfect poker face.

"Everything I've done and felt has been the result of what you've done to me. I wouldn't be acting this way if you didn't torture me."

He sat down on a small stool and wheeled it over so he was in front of me. "What we've done to you is protect you. We've worked to ensure you have a safe and happy life without any worries or struggles. Your parents protect you and take care of you and allow you to have fun as you grow. Why are you so bent on fighting us?"

"I never wanted to be here. I never wanted to follow your insane rules. My life was fine before moving to Alpine."

"Your life is better here in Alpine. We're able to provide you with a life that some would kill for-"

"I don't want this life! I never did!"

He leaned in toward me and I could smell the aftershave he wore. "This is your life now, Lyla. Kelsey is your mother and Robert is your father. Get used to it."

I felt a pinch on my leg and looked down to see he had pricked my skin using the needle of the syringe and injected the liquid into my vein. I cried out and scooted back on the bed until my hands reached the edge of the mattress. "You're a terrible person. This isn't normal, what you're doing to these people. I hope you rot in hell for what you've done."

He stood up and walked over to the door. He looked back at Kelsey as he opened it. "Give her half a milliliter each morning before she wakes up. It's good for about fourteen hours. If she wakes up before she gets it, she'll remember and she'll fight you so I advise you plan accordingly. The pharmacy will replenish your supply when you run low. If you have any questions or issues, give me a call."

"You... This will make me forget? What... No..." Tears built up in my eyes and I felt my chest tighten up. It felt like all my organs were trying to form into one giant organ but there wasn't enough room in my torso to accommodate.

It felt like there wasn't any oxygen in the air.

Kelsey walked over to me and sat down on the bed. "Lyla, we just want to help you be more comfortable here." She pulled me into her lap and brushed the tears off my cheeks.

I shoved her hands away. "Don't touch me."

She sighed and looked at Dr. Owens standing impatiently in the doorway. "Thank you for all your help. I never realized how much of a struggle she'd put up."

He gestured toward the hallway. "I'm glad to help. Let me walk you out. The effects won't kick in for a few minutes."

Kelsey stood and carried me out of the room. She followed Dr. Owens through the halls and back to the lobby. Naomi still wasn't there.

Dr. Owens opened the door and a gust of cold air rushed in.

Kelsey walked to the car and set me in my car seat. She set my diaper bag on the seat before she started buckling me in.

I pushed her arms away as she tried buckling me, fighting against her as much as I could.

"Lyla, that's enough. There's no reason for you to be acting this way."

I glared at her as she buckled the last strap in place and set my teddy bear in the crook of my arm. I half-screamed, half-growled at her as she shut the door and turned to Dr. Owens. She said a few words to him before she walked around to the driver's side. He headed back inside without another word.

Kelsey was silent as she started the car and pulled out of the lot. I waited until she was on the road before I threw my teddy bear behind me. I wasn't sure where it landed but it was enough to annoy Kelsey.

"Lyla, enough. Throwing a tantrum isn't going to change anything."

I pulled on the pacifier clip until it came loose and threw it too. Then I kicked at my car seat, hoping my shoes would either scuff or dirty the back of the seat. I wasn't going down without a fight.

We were pulling into the driveway when my crying changed. Suddenly, instead of being mad, I felt scared. I was all alone in the backseat and I couldn't hear Kelsey up front and I didn't like it.

The door opened and shut and my crying increased. She wasn't going to leave me alone in the car, was she?

Just then, my door opened and Kelsey was there. She looked at me with narrowed eyes and my chest seized at the thought of her being mad at me. Why was mommy mad at me?

I hiccupped and reached out for her. "Mommy."

She stared at me, not moving from her rigid position.

A fresh sob escaped my lips and I squeezed my eyes shut. Did I upset mommy? Why wasn't she comforting me?

As quickly as the thought came, it was gone. Kelsey unbuckled me from my car seat and picked me up out of it.

I buried my face in her neck and held a tight grip on her jacket.

Kelsey patted my back. "I think somebody's a little fussy. Why don't we go inside and we'll calm down with a bottle, okay, baby?"

I sniffed and nodded my head.

She gathered my things from my car and walked inside. Once my bottle was made, she sat down on the couch and cradled me in her arms. She held the bottle for me as I drank, her free hand brushing the hair from my face.

"That's mommy's girl."