• 24 • END

•••••

2 years later

"Everybody in 3 2 1, smile!" the camera shuttered, capturing the 5 graduates with their 9 seniors and 2 coaches.

"Ooh, that was the best one!" Sugawara exclaimed after taking a look at the photo.

Time flew incredibly fast. It's like it was just yesterday they were all practicing in the gym together. And then the third third years graduated. Then the second years. Now, the last members of their original team are leaving.

Well, it's not like they took those times for granted but still, it'd be devastating to say goodbye and to have those moments become only a part of their memories. And yes, they are free to contact each other but it cannot be guaranteed.

They'll attend their own universities and soon, jobs. There are countless things that can stop them from seeing each other.

They spent a few more minutes chatting, congratulating the graduates, and talk about their plans for the future. And for the maybe-last time, hugged as a whole, complete group.

They all released and bid each other goodbyes. Because as expected, many of them were busy and just took little of their time to attend the graduation.

"Ehem ehem. Uhh we'll leave you two here. Akiteru and I will head home first to prepare food." Kei's mom coughed, winking at Akiteru.

"Yeah, mom's right. You two take your time to enjoy your graduation. See you later!" Akiteru quickly waves goodbye as he was being pulled by Mrs. Tsukishima.

Kei rolls his eyes and sets them on Y/n who was still waving back and took her wrist as a sign to follow him.

"Where are we headed to, Kei?"

"Just wait."

After a few stumbles and trips, they arrive at a somewhat lake in their neighbourhood. The view was completely out of a fairytale book. A huge tree with a bench underneath. A clear lake where you can practically see your reflection like in a mirror. Bunch of flowers were growing everywhere. Butterflies and birds freely fly in the air, adding beauty to the already breathtaking place. The only thing is, the grass is already reaching your legs, somewhat like it hasn't been taken care of for years.

"Woah, I didn't know such place exists here. How'd you know about this, Kei?" Y/n asked, sparkles in her eyes as she stared at the scene.

"Well, I used to go a lot here when I was younger. My brother and I loved playing volleyball here."

"Why isn't anyone here too? I mean it's a lovely place. I think it deserves attention."

"This used to be swarmed with people. Kids running around, flying kites, kicking balls. Picnic mats were everywhere and there were even food stalls that filled the air with pleasant smells. But when the park downtown was built, they all left. All acted like this thing never existed. After that I still went here with Akiteru-nii san but then we grew apart. And you probably already know why. So I stopped coming here. I mean what's the point of going if I had no one to share this beauty with."

"Well now I'm here with you." the girl spoke. Kei chuckled and looked at the sky.

"I was planning to bring you here way back then but I just didn't have the guts."

"But you do have it now, don't you?" she stared at him, at the sky, then closed her eyes.

They both take deep breaths, inhaling the flowery fragrance mixed with the fresh air. And for a split second, their pinkies touched. Y/n lifted her hand and placed it on top of his. Kei flinched for a moment, shocked. His eyes opened and took a glance at the girl who still has hers closed. Then he gave in, curves forming on the corners of his lips. Kei slowly wiggled his hand taking her hand in his and intertwining their fingers.

At the end, they were both smiling with their heads leaned on each other's and eyes closed. Wind gushing, trees swaying, birds chirping, hearts beating. This was an ending that no one expected but always hoped for.

A happy one.

•••••

She was lonely.

He was isolated.

She was broken.

He was lost.

She had no one.

He needed someone.

Sometimes things just need time. Good things never exist in the beginning. They appear in the end, after all the hardships and tears. And it's not always there, we build it. Everything is up to us. The results, the process. Our decisions lead us to where we are now. We all made a mistake. Not once, not twice, not even thrice. So many times that we lost count. But did we stop there? No. We continued, aware that we can yet make another mistake again. But what's so bad about that? So what if we often make the wrong decision? It's fine. Just learn. Do not just forget your past, but also learn from it.

And when the time comes, you'll succeed. If you still can't do it all alone, someone will arrive to save the day. Just like what Kei and Y/n was for each other. She saved him from completely turning his back to the world. He saved her from the cruelty of the world. She taught him to look from different perspectives. He taught her things she was not aware of before. She helped him find his own direction. And he helped her find her own value.

Everything is a matter of time, patience, and understanding. Learn to see from different eyes, starting with yours. Live your moment, but also let others live theirs. Because who else can help ourselves into becoming better?

Us.

• 05.13.21 •

thank you for reading