The Final Battle

I've noticed that the AN's have gotten shorter and shorter as the story's progressed. Well, that won't be for long since this is the second to last chapter in the entire thing.

As I said in Chapter 12, this is the battle before the ending. It's pretty intense. Someone dies. Someone almost dies. Someone is the savior... And then there's those people who just watch and do nothing. Like Alia. I can tell you that for sure.

Anyways, enjoy the chapter cause Kingdoms Lost is almost over (unfortunately)! I really do like this story and I really wish more people did too. However, I still appreciate the support you guys have been giving it and I wanna thank you all with cookies! (::) Cookies for everyone! (::) Many cookies!

SotC: I See Fire - Ed Sheeran

Mitch's POV

Star City wasn't as beautiful as I remembered it.

It was around 2 in the morning. The sky was pitch black and the only visible clouds formed above the castle, giving observers a menacing feel.

From above the city, the flames of rebel torches scattered amongst the crowd of the busy city streets. Bon fires started up, and wooden houses were being burnt to the ground. What had the world come to? Throughout the twenty years I spent locked up in the McNulty house, I hadn't seen anything so disgusting from a group of people who were at least once loyal to their ruler. On top of the hill, I faintly listened to the shouting of the violent rebels, who attempted to switch the local peasants to their side. I knew some people would take their offers, but others wouldn't, including me. When I found out Ryan wasn't actually my real brother, it confirmed my loyalty to the reign of the Acetis.

I felt bad for Jerome and his family. Their hard work had slipped through the cracks and into the hands of an unworthy opponent just because of me being stupid and running away from my problems. In the end, Ryan wouldn't do anything for the citizens of Star City who were even his allies. He only desired the title and advantages of ruling a city; his real motivation probably didn't include his followers. After twenty years of living with him, I came to the conclusion that Ryan had always been a selfish jerk who only cared about himself. I'd just never come to that terrible realization until I finally had the guts to confront him.

Jerome, Matt, and I reached Star City that dark night. I took a deep breath, and allowed Jerome to hold my hand as we walked through the boundaries of the kingdom. His soft skin clashed with the clamminess of mine. Chills crept up my spine as we passed the marketplace, recognizing men, women, and children of all ages tearing down the stands and vigorously feasting on the goods. Other women stood off to the sides, holding their children up against their chests or legs. While watching these bystanders with horror in their eyes, I noticed gleams of hope as well. I finally understood why no one had left town. These terrified people believed in Jerome, knew damn well he was on their side, and would try to take back Star City with his father's honor and dignity.

"Are you sure we should do this alone? Matt and I can come too if you want..." Jerome asked me as we reached his castle. Although my whole entire body shook with nerves, I shook my head. There was no option to turn back since we had traveled so far to take back the kingdom. To get the best effect on Ryan, I needed to be alone in case he wanted to take his anger out on Jerome or try to persuade any of us in a different direction. I could take the pain and the suffering, since I had survived twenty years of it. No more descendants or advisors of the Aceti family could die. Most importantly, I couldn't risk the love of my life losing his life.

Just before we entered sight of the soldiers guarding the front gate, Jerome took both of my hands and stared into my eyes. Matt paced back and forth behind us, keeping watch for any intrusions. He whispered gently so only I could hear. "I love you Mitch. No matter what happens tonight, remember what we had."