The Meeting

I was breathing erratically when I reached my room. Moments later, my kids, Nuanna, Paige and Jamie enter my room. Vianne and Frederick ran to me and hugged me.

        “Mommy, where is Granny and Granddaddy?” Frederick asked.

        “They met a guest here in the Palace. They would soon be back.”

        “Mommy?” Vianne said. “Who is the guest?”

        Your daddy is the guest, angel. I smiled. “He is the King of Denmark.”

        “Wow, King! You must be a Queen, Mommy!”

        Blood rushed deeper in me when she mentioned being a Queen to me. I happened to be the Queen of Denmark if the marriage lasted. I happened to be the Queen of Denmark, Mother of the Crown Princess and have a complete family, but by greed and power, my marriage and the dream of a family didn’t come true.

        “No, baby, like you, I am a Princess like you.”

        “Hmm…” Frederick hugged me tighter. “Princess Queen of Frederick and Vianne.”

        I smiled again. I caressed my children’s head and patted them. I badly want them to meet their daddy but I don’t want them burdened by all means. I want them to have a normal family, a normal life that was given to their Mommy, but the horror there is the truth that the normal life given to them was full of lies.

        I sighed and hugged my kids tighter. “Angel, Baby, can you go in the playroom and play with toys there, and I have to talk to Granny Nuanna and Aunt Paige and Jamie.”

        They nodded and kissed my lips and cheeks. They chased each other in their playroom; I am satisfied when I heard their laughter. A mother would like to hear the happiness in them and no worries about what’s to come.

        Nuanna sat down beside me and rubbed my back. I started to feel uneasy and one by one, my tears started to roll down my cheeks.

        “Why would he show now when I’m not ready?” I sobbed while resting my face on my knees. “I-I have to think of something to keep him away from my kids.”

        I felt three hands comforting me. Paige and Jamie sat down the floor and caressed my hair and shoulder.

        “Gei, I think you have to face him, for your sake.” Paige said.

        “What? And then put my kids in jeopardy? I don’t want to fight for custody. I know he has all rights to win if ever that happens. I don’t want my kids to know him for the sake of the throne, the country and the marriage.”

        “I didn’t mean the meet and greet with Victor. I meant you. You have to meet him as a guest.”

        I shook my head. I don’t want to cross paths with him. “I think I can’t.”

        Jamie lifted my face and looked into my eyes. “Free yourself, Geiyianne, free yourself from the heart aches that you endured.”

        “You are very persuasive, but it’s still a no.”

        “It would help you.”

        I shook my head again.

        “Gei, for your sake and-“

        “Geiyianne?”

        I stood up. I think my Mom is outside. There were three knocks on the door and it opened. It was really my Mom. Her face was covered with wary.