- 7 - A s h t o n - Drama in Drama

- 7 - A s h t o n -

What if I . . . No. Tha-

“MR. IRWIN!” I was snapped out of  my daydream by Grace, our drama teacher. She’s really nice, but she can be super strict too.

“Huh? What?”

“Are you with us or not?”

“Umm. I am now?”

“Good. I asked you a question. Do you need me to repeat it?”

“Yes please.”

“Now that Nora is in this class, you two can do a scene together and get to know each other better. Go through this book together and choose a scene to do please.”

“Yes Grace.”

I looked at Nora with a frown. She glared back at me, then got up, took the book from Grace and sat down next to me.

“It’s all Shakespeare.” I said, looking over Nora’s shoulder as she flipped through the book.

“Well, first things first: No Hamlet. And definitely no Romeo and Juliet.”

“Agreed.” I said instantly.

“Hmmm. . What about something from Antony and Cleopatra?”

“No.” I shook my head. The only thing Grace would want us to do is some lovey dovey scene between Antony and Cleopatra.

“Why not? I could be Cleopatra and you could be Ceasar!”

“I’m nothing like Ceasar! I refuse to play him!” I said, voice slightly raised.

“Why not? The point of playas is to play someone you aren’t.” Noar said, raising her voice too.

“I just don’t want to play Caesar. Ever.”  I said angrily.

“Why not? Ceasar was the greatest thing that ever happened to Rome, according to the history books! He’s all they ever talk about when they talk about Rome!”

“What about Achilles? Or Plato? Or-”

“They’re all Greek you idiot! The only Roman you’ll ever be able to name is Caesar ‘cause he’s the only Roman anyone ever learns about! So why not play him?”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Ashton! Nora! What is going on? You’re supposed to be getting along!” Grace said.

“Nothings wrong.” I snapped.

“Something's definitely wrong. You’ve interrupted Amada’s monologue. If one of you doesn’t want to do a scene, then choose something else. But, please, work it out quietly.”

“Sorry.” Nora said quickly.

Amanda continued her monologue and Nora turned to me. “Why don’t you want to play Caesar?” She whispered.

“Because, he’s the bad guy in that play. I don’t want to play a bad guy. I’m not.” I muttered back.

“Well, you’re certainly acting like it recently!” She mumbled.

“Well sorry, but I refuse to play Caesar if we’re doing Antony and Cleopatra.” I whispered.

“Fine! Have it your way!”

We both glared at each other. I broke the gaze and I heard her flipping through the pages. Amada finished her monologue. Grace told her what she’d done right, and what she could do better. Just as she finished talking, Nora jumped up.

“Oh, this is perfect! Grace! I know what we’re doing!” Nora got up and showed Grace something. Grace nodded her head and took the book to make copies of the scene for us.

“Hey! We never talked about  it! I don’t even know what we’re doing!”

“We’re doing the trial scene from The Winter’s Tale. Act Three, Scene Two. I’m Queen Hermione and you’re King Leontes.”

“You only want to do that because you like Harry Potter and there’s a character named Hermione who’s also a Queen.” I mumbled.

“Actually, I chose it because Leontes and Hermione are married and Leontes unfairly accused Hermione of having a child with Leontes boyhood friend, Polixenes, who is the king of a neighboring country now, because he had come for a visit but wants to leave for home again nine months later. We’re doing Hermione’s Trial where she pleads innocent and asks for the verdict of the Oracle of Delphi and the Oracle decrees her innocent, but Leontes doesn’t believe this to be the truth and throws Hermione in prison. The fact that the Queen has the same name as one of Harry Potter’s best friends is completely coincidental. Especially because Queen Hermione came hundreds of years before the idea of Hermione Granger the character from Harry Potter ever even existed.” She was glaring at me now. “The relationships between Hermione and Leontes and our current relationship match up perfectly. That’s why I chose that scene.”

I stared at her. That’s not true! I am not being unfair at all! I just need some time! Jeez. If anyone’s being unfair, it her. This made me even more angry with her, but Grace came back in just then, so I muttered “Whatever.” and scowled at the ground.

“So, how was drama?” Michael asked when Nora and I walked up to the other three.

“Fantastic.” I said sarcastically.

“Just great.” Nora muttered. She walked past them without even smiling and started heading towards home.

“Where are you going? I thought you had to stay out of the house until five?” Luke called out after her.

“I do. I’m gonna hang out at the park around the corner from there cause at six we’re going towards his house for that ‘Welcome-to-the-Neighborhood dinner I mentioned. I’ll have an hour to get ready and my mum’ll make a bigger deal out of my outfit than the most stereotypical queen bee cheerleader would make about her prom dress.” She rolled her eyes. “Don’t come after me today please.”

“Okay. We’ll just annoy the hell out of Ashton until he finally snaps!” We watched Nora walk away.

“I have to go get ready for that dinner too ya know.”

“We’ll let you go when you tell us what happened in Drama.”

“Grace put Nora and I together to do a scene, we fought about a scene where I’d play an evil person, and Noaa’s character kills herself, and then Nora forced us to do a scene where the characters are married and I’m unfairly accusing her of having a baby with my childhood best friend, having all the proof that their innocent, but not believing it anyway and throwing her in prison.” I told them. Then I walked away. We’ll more like drove away. . .

 A/N: So, there's Chapter seven! Tell me what you think! What do you think is going to happen? So, it looks like this book will have 22 Chapters + an Epilogue, and I hope update two or three times a week, but no promises. Also, I'm hoping to finish this book around late March/early April, but again, no promises. Finally, the External Link has Act III, Scene II of The WInter's Tale for those of you who are interested in seeing how the scene goes. We're studying monologues in my Drama class right now, and this is something that caught my eye when I was looking for a Shakespeare monologue. (We have to do a Modern/Contemporary monologue and a Shakespearean monologue.)

- Kat -

Song of the Chapter: You're Dead Wrong by Mayday Parade

Words: 1021/1158

***Unedited***