- 12 - N o r a - Seventeen

- 12 -  N o r a -

My dad woke me up by shaking me gently and whispering to me.

“Hey honey. Wake up. Come on Nora, wake up. It’s almost 11 already.”

“Hmmm?” I rolled over to face him.

“Happy 17th Birthday darling!” He smiled at me. I stared at him.

“What? Is it really?”

“It really is. It’s March 15th, and you turn 17 today!”

“Wow. Time flies.” I mumbled.

“Yep. I’ll make you some breakfast, but you need to shower and dress before you come downstairs OK?”

“Alright. Be down soon.”

“Good.”

He left, and shut the door behind him. I got up and pulled out a nicer outfit that usual, but still, no dress, and took it with me to the bathroom. I took a 15 minute shower, dressed, and headed downstairs, looking at my phone.

I got to the last step, and slowly walked into the drawing room while I texted my mum.

“SURPRISE!”

“Ahhh!” I jumped and dropped my phone. The room erupted into laughter and I looked around. Ashton, Michael, Calum and Luke were all standing behind the couch, and Anne Marie was standing right infront of me.

“Holy shit!” I screamed. “What the hell? Oh my god.” My voice quieted and I joined in with the laughter. “Don’t you ever do that again! Any of you!”

“No promises!” Ashton said. I looked at him. He still wouldn’t listen to me, and i had a feeling he’d try to scare me on purpose in the future, just to push my buttons.

“Well, if you do do that again, I swear to God, I will gut you alive.”

“So violent! When did this happen!” Michael laughed.

“Oh, no, you can’t gut my son! Not without me!”

“What! Mum!”

“What? I have two other children I can replace you with.”

Everyone but Ashton laughed. “Not cool mum. Not. Cool.”

“Would you like some ice with that burn?” Calum laughed.

Ashton rolled his eyes in response, and then my dad walked in with a plate of pancakes.

“Ooo! For me?”

“For you honey!” He laughed. He’d definitely heard everything.

I sat down on the couch and Michael and Calum sat down on either side of me. Luke and Calum shared a loveseat (ha) and Anne sat in a personal chair. My dad stuck a candle into the top of the stack, lit it, and sat down on the couch with us.

“Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday to you,

Happy Birthday to Nora

Happy Birthday to you!”

I sang along, saying ‘me’ instead of ‘you’ but who cares right? I blew out the candle, then took it out the pancakes and started eating breakfast while everyone else started talking.

When I finished eating, my dad got up and gave me my present. I opened it and found book i’d been wanting for a while, The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud, and the second book in the Lockwood and Co. Series.