Steve

She sits in a rocking chair in the far corner looking out over all of New York.Her gray hair tumbles in flawless curls over her now bony shoulders.

"Hey,Peg."

She turns her grey eyes locking my face and her lips curl into a warming grin."My god,Steve. I haven't seen you in months."

I sit down on the window pane."I'm sorry.I've been really busy."

"I heard about you and that woman in France.Is she alright? Are you?"

I idly run my fingers along the pane."She's fine."

Peggy leans forward."And you,Steve.How are you?"

I take her hand in my own."You remember the last time I was here?"

"Surprisingly, I do."

"You said to find someone to love.That I needed to-to live life."

"Yes,that's right."

"I did.I found someone.And I love her because she reminds me-of yo-you,Peggy.But she's got these eyes that would convince Hitler to be good.And she's got a smile like heaven.And a voice like silk-"

"If she means so much to you,why are you here waisting time with me.You should savor every moment you have with her,Steve."

"Peg-"

"There is something bothering you,Steve. You always were a terrible liar."

I turn away from her."And you were always there to point that out for me,Peg."

She lays her hand on my knee."What is it ,Steve? Are you here because you are running away from her?"

I contemplate on that for a very long time before answering."Yes.I am."

"You feel like it's your fault that she got hurt? Right?"

I breath a heavy,shaky breath,and shove my hands through my hair."I feel like it should have been me to take the bullet,Peggy. That I should've been expecting him to pull something. That I should've been there to protect her.And I wasn't.And now she is paying the price for that."

"And so you thought avoiding her would make thing better?"

"No. Of course not."

"So what are you doing here?"

Avoiding her.

Avoding those green eyes that would convince Hitler to be good.

Avoiding that smile like heaven.

Avoiding that voice like silk.

Avoiding that wonderful red hair of her's.

Avoiding the wound on her chest.

Avoiding the memories of thinking that she was gone.

Avoiding the fact that she seemed to want to be gone.

Avoiding her.

Avoiding Natasha.

"Avoiding her."

Peggy sits back in her rocking chair."I'm proud of you for living life,Steve. When you left, I had to learn to live mine and I'd be selfish if I wanted you here with me still. But you've got yourself a beautiful woman, who cares about you,and you're here with me. In this dingy,old senior home,avoiding that smile like heaven,and those green eyes that would convince Hitler to be good.That voices like silk. And you don't have her forever,Steve.You have her for your slice of eternity and you're spending it with me, to get away from her."

I wipe the tears from my face."You haven't changed. Tongue like acid that burns your skin, but all you're doing is speaking truth."

"Oh,Steve."

"What do I do,Peggy? How do I even begin to fogive myself for letting her get hurt-"

"You didn't,Steve. It's not your fault. That's how you forgive yourself. Don't blame it on you. Blame it on the man that did this to her. And let it go. Don't let him fuel a hatred. Let him go.He'll face justice."

"That's what I'd like to believe,Peggy.But they promised me that once and look where that got me."

"With an old friend who is providing you advice she hopes helps you."

I smile a small smile."I forgot how much I liked you,Peggy."

"Oh I remember it quite well, Captain Rogers."

I stand and lean down,kissing her forehead."Good afternoon,Peggy."

"You go get that girl.And I want to meet her someday, do you hear me?"

"You have my word."