Chapter 7

"I value your advice, but if you ever question me in front of strangers again, you'll be advising someone else."

VALAENA'S POV

VALAENA'S POV

I wasn't expecting to be invited to the meeting in the Great Hall, and I didn't understand the reason behind the Northerners shoring up their defenses, but I was glad I attended. I didn't know who this Night King or what the Army of the Dead was, but I could tell they were real and a threat to Westeros.

I was glad I was able to see King Jon leading his people. He didn't seem to enjoy ruling, but he was good at it. He would be a wise choice for marriage. Jon would be able to keep my worst impulses in check and I highly doubt he would try to rule in my stead. He would either want to rule with me, or support me and give me advice behind closed doors. The kind of husband I wanted, and  the kind of husband I think he would be.

I wanted to ask Jon about this Night King and Army of the Dead beyond the Wall, so I followed him out of the Great Hall and up to the ramparts. I knew it was impolite, but I eavesdropped on his conversation with his sister until I had an opening to ask him my questions.

"You are my sister, but I am king now." Jon appeared to be frustrated with Lady Sansa, but it made sense with how stubborn she was during the meeting in front of Jon's subordinates.

"Will you start wearing a crown?" Lady Sansa's voice was thick with sarcasm, which did not go unnoticed by her older brother.

"When you question my decisions in front of the other Lords and Ladies, you undermine me." Rulers don't like being questioned in public, Jon wasn't alone in that aspect.

"So I can't question your decisions anymore?" Lady Sansa didn't seem to realize Jon was frustrated she questioned him in public, not that she questioned him at all.

"Of course you can, but -" Jon tried to explain his reasoning, but of course his sister cut him off before he had a chance.

"Joffrey never let anyone question his authority. You think he was a good king?" Lady Sansa's words struck a nerve. I had to pretend to be watching the men sparring when Jon suddenly stopped.

"Do you think I'm Joffrey?" Jon sounded moderately offended, but anyone would be if they were compared to King Joffrey.

"You're as far from Joffrey as anyone I've ever met." Then why did you bring him up, Lady Stark? If your goal was to make your brother upset, it worked.

"Thank you." Jon seemed to brush off his sister's words now that she apologized. He was a better person than I.

"You're good at this, you know." Lady Sansa changed the subject, pointing out what I had also noticed.

"At what?" King Snow didn't catch on to what she meant.

"At ruling." She was right, her brother was born to lead. Everyone in the Great Hall likely knew this as well.