Epilogue

Present Day

"So what's the real reason why you and TJ broke up? " Vinny asked me. We were all at my place again, this time with Chinese food as takeout. 

"We were different people," I lied. (sort-of) "Just not meant to be."

"Bullshit!" Ryan argued. "That's not why at all. And you can't let that get past me; I was there!"

I glared at him. "We broke up because he lied to me. He tried to control my thoughts, and he succeeded. Eventually, I found out what he was doing. I left him because of it."

"How does a person control your thoughts?" Justin asked. Once again, he was distracted by something on his phone. 

"He was really manipulative," I explained. I used chopsticks to pick up some noodles. "He was amazing at what he did, let me tell you." I ate the noodles. 

"The best flirt there ever was," Ryan agreed. 

Vinny nodded slowly. "There must be more. Why would TJ wanna control your thoughts?"

I thought back to it. "There is one possibility, but I seriously doubt that it's true." I leaned forward, and everyone gathered closer around me as I told the story. "Rumor has it that he and Chris dated, which would explain why both of them warned me about the other. Chris actually told me that he'd fallen for TJ's tricks once, but I don't believe it. There's no way that he was foolish enough to do that."

Ryan shook his head. "I believe it. There was a time that even I fell for TJ. He almost had me in bed with him, but I broke away from his spell before he could get there."

"What?! How did he do that?" I demanded. 

"He gets inside your head." He put his finger against his temple. "He figures out what makes you tick and he gets inside of your head. It's uncanny because he can do it to literally anyone."

"Freaky," Vinny mumbled. "You're not even gay and it worked."

"TJ Bell, turning straight men gay since 2008," Ryan laughed.

There was a resounding nod. "So if Chris and TJ really dated, then that means that you do have a shot," Justin told me. 

I bit my lip. "It's just too late. It's just chasing an insipid teenage dream."

"There's nothing insipid about a little romance," Ryan said, a small sparkle in his eye. I rolled my eyes and ate some rice while everyone stared at me. "Oh, come on!" He pleaded. "Give it a shot."

"We'd love to see you finally get together with someone," Vinny agreed. "You've been heartaching ever since..." His voice drifted off. 

"That was a mistake!" I assured him, not wanting him to say any names. "And I never loved him."

"We know. That's why you should date the person you really do love." His encouragement was getting on my nerves. "What's the worst that could possibly happen?"

"Total rejection."

"Chris isn't that mean. We've met him," Justin pointed between the four of them. "Come on."

"You're gonna peer pressure me into this like a bunch of schoolchildren, aren't you?" I groaned, putting my head into my palm. My nose squished up. There was a knock on my front door. Ryan stood up to answer it. When he opened it, he spoke to some mystery person. The voice sounded so familiar though...

"Ricky," Ryan started. "Someone's here to see you."

I looked up and saw Chris looking around. "Don't tell me you're kicking me outta the band!" He said. "Having a group dinner without me!" He shook his head, looking a little bit panicked. 

"We're not kicking you out!" I assured him.

"Ricky's got somethin' to tell ya!" Vinny said, mouth full of noodles. 

"I've got something to tell Ricky first," Chris told him. He gestured towards the door that led to the back porch with a nod of his head. I guess that he wants to talk in private. I followed him there. We stood on my porch, the sound of crickets starting to chirp for the night filling the air. 

"What's wrong?" I asked him. 

"I recently found something out about you. I was honestly pretty stupid to not notice it in the first place." He rested his arms on the railing that surrounded the porch. "I was talking to TJ the other night. He's doing pretty well. He also told me something about you."

"What did he tell you?" I asked nervously. 

"He said he was sorry for keeping you away from me for so long. Honestly, he was jealous that you preferred me. He also said he knows that I'm the better man. He regrets toying with your emotions."

"Oh. Right." I leaned against railing, looking out into the night.

"You were really in love with me the whole time?"

"Madly," I confessed. "TJ wouldn't let me show or tell you though. Not ever." I looked at Chris. 

"I wish I'd've known that. I would've saved ya." He looked back at me. 

"The guys in there are tryin' to get us together," I told him. "It's crazy how this all worked out."

"You don't want to try?" He asked me.  I was taken off guard by his question. 

"W-w- You want to try?!" I couldn't hide my shock. "I thought-"

"I never said I didn't like you, Ricky. I think we should go out sometime, see if it works."

"That's the most casual way to ask someone out I've ever heard."

"I didn't have a lot of time to plan this," He pointed out. "What do you say?"

"Of course, but on one condition."

"What is it?"

"You have to promise that you won't make me kiss you first." I recalled my little fantasy. That would so never-in-a-million-years-happen. 

He laughed. "I promise."

------

Fin

WC- 25331

Forever and always,

Davy Jones