Forget Love, We're Too Young to Fall In Love

It didn't take long for TJ to take my words of 'consideration' out of context completely. He obsessed over them night and day, calling and texting me like a madman. He was interested in me for sure, but I didn't think that 'potential romantic interest' could turn into 'guy who wants all of your attention every day.' It had been week, and I was sick of being his muse. I figured that if I wanted him to stop nagging me, I'd have to just ask him out and get the idea that I'd ever feel anything for him out of his head. 

He said yes before I could even finish the first sentence. I'd asked him simply to go and catch a movie with me. Unfortunately, there was nothing good playing right now. Instead I invited him over to my house so we could watch the one of the most hauntingly romantic movies of all time, Corpse Bride. I'd made slightly overcooked popcorn with a little bit of butter and bought a few cans of Coca-Cola too. Since we'd already met and I was intending on this whole thing going awfully, I didn't bother dressing up any more than I usually do. I don't want TJ getting the idea that he is in any way special to me. 

He showed up looking just as casual as I was, which made me feel like a total idiot. He's just as gothic as I am, if not more. He had a slight scent about him that I just couldn't place. I knew immediately that it was cologne. I couldn't say anything though. If I said something, he'd know I was paying attention. If he knew I was paying attention, he'd think I actually asked him out because I was interested. "Can I come in?" He asked. 

"Oh, right, sure." I stepped aside, realizing that I'd been standing there staring him over for far too long. 

He sniffed the air. "Popcorn? Excellent choice." A small smile played on his lips. "A classic. Can't go wrong with that."

"You're chatty this afternoon," I mumbled. 

He invited himself over to the sofa and collapse on it. "You like your new ride?"

"Not any more than I did the last time you asked." I didn't hide my frustration.

Unfortunately, my frustration only seemed to fuel his fire even more. Was me giving him any attention at all making it worse? "What movie are we watching?" He asked, looking around for the DVD's case. 

"Corpse Bride." I brought the bowl of popcorn over to the sofa. I put it on the coffee table in front of the sofa, and put one can of Coke on either side of it. The only thing I hadn't done just to show how much I wasn't interested in TJ was pick this movie. I genuinely wanted to watch it. I was wrong about something else once more, as TJ informed me that Coca-Cola was his favorite soda. Of course it was. 

The rest of the date went like that. Every time I thought I did something specifically to annoy TJ, he enjoyed it nonetheless. To be completely honest, I really didn't know if he was doing it because he was that blind or that desperate. When the movie ended, he took his things, threw out the empty can of soda, thanked me for everything, and led himself to the door. I didn't bother showing him out. Manners or not, it doesn't 'change the fact that he should feel that I'm a rude asshole. 

Of course, moments after he left I was filled with a bit of guilt. Here was a guy who was trying so hard to make me feel like I belonged here, and I was just blowing him off. I wasn't ready to go rushing into another relationship, but that doesn't mean that I can't treat him like a human being. I would've apologized, but I genuinely don't think that he thought I was being a bad person. Only I would know that. My pager buzzed with a message. I guess if I didn't have to buy a new car, I could go and buy a new phone. A real phone this time. I grabbed the jar sitting on the counter that was full of money. I took a fistful of twenties and stuffed them into the pocket of my skinny black jeans. I looked at the message. 

I can't believe u traded in Ozzy's car 4
a Ferrari :P

I rolled my eyes, and then I escorted myself to my front door. I shot TJ another message in response. 

Just wait till I trade in this pager 
4 a BlackBerry

He didn't respond immediately. Actually, he never responded at all. That was the last message I ever sent from my pager, and he gave me the last message I'd ever receive. To this day, I don't know the reason why he didn't respond. Not that he needed to, but it seemed like something that he'd be like 'but I wanted to spoil you with a new phone.' It was rather odd in my opinion. I went out to Verizon and bought myself this nice, shiny, black BlackBerry. It really did make me feel like the shit. All the contacts that I'd had in my landline went into the phone immediately. I got rid of both the landline and my pager that very day. It felt nice to finally get out of the nineties.