Under my Skin

A/n: Alright, this thing's goin' way to slow for a story with a character who quote-on-quote "starts things quickly." Let's get this show on the road.

TJ's words had wedged themselves underneath my skin throughout the rest of the day. His cocky remark about his irresistible Cupid's arrow already taking effect was driving me crazy. How dare he assume that? "If you type any harder, your gonna break that keyboard, " Someone told me from over my shoulder. I was writing an email. I looked back and saw that it was Josh. "What's the matter? " 

I shrugged. I didn't want to tell him that TJ was bothering me. I knew that he'd known TJ longer, and would certainly take his side. 

"It's TJ, isn't it?" He looked at me knowingly. "If he's really bothering you, just tell him to go away. He might be a pain  in the ass, but he listens to people. " 

"He's not bothering me, " I lied. "I don't know why.... He just gets under my skin. I should just shrug it off though, right? " 

"He does have that effect on people, " Josh thought allowed. "You'd think after a while it would get boring to annoy the shit out of the people he finds.... " He struggled to search for the right word. 

"Attractive? " I offered. 

"That's it!" He pointed at me. "If he's giving you trouble though, I can talk to him about it."

"No, it's fine." I shook my head. I didn't need to look like I needed someone else to fight for me. I could deal with TJ on my own.

"Suit yourself." He snapped his fingers. "Oh! Just remembered. You slept okay last night, right? I know that mattress is a little old and-"

"It was okay," I smiled. "Better than the air mattress I was sleeping on before."

"Good." 

That night, around eleven, I decided to go to bed a little earlier than I usually did. On my way to my room, I heard small noises from the room next to me. Of course, that was TJ's room. How convenient, right? I was disgusted when I realized what it was. So much for going to bed early, these walls are thin. I'd been standing there for too long, because the sounds stopped. Needing to get out of there, I tried to walk off and pretend that I hadn't heard anything. I was too late, though. The door opened and a tiny brunette with a noteworthy rack left the room. "Freaky little dude," She said to me, giving me a weird look. Though it was initially received as disgust, there was something of pride in her expression. "I'm leaving, T!" She called into the room, walking down the hallway before starting down the stairs. 

TJ came to the doorframe, draping himself against it in the way that people only do in photoshoots. His after-sex hair was wild, but somehow he still managed to look good. "Can I help you?"

"Who the fuck is she?!" I pointed.

"One night stand?" He said like it was the most obvious thing ever. 

"You can't just go around having sex with whoever you want!"

"Why not? I'm single."

"Because sex is supposed to be meaningful. It's supposed to come with time! It's supposed to be built up from the inability to resist each other any more."

TJ looked away from me, but I could still see him roll his eyes. He returned his gaze to me. "You're boring, you know that? We're young. Live it up a little." He punched my shoulder playfully. His lip quirked up a bit. "You know, if you want.... I could show you."

"In the bed you just had sex in?!" I was disgusted. How slutty can a guy be?

"Ew! No! In your room. Christ!" He wrinkled his nose in disgust. "But based on what you told me, you're still a virgin. Virgins are whiny and needy," He complained.

"I am not a virgin. I've had sex once."

"ONCE?!" He looked appalled. "You've been alive how long, and you've had sex once?!" He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Listen, hypothetically speaking, how long would you make me wait if we were together?"

"Two months at the least."

"Two-?" He stopped himself. "Right. Okay." He'd been stepping out of his room while he was speaking. He was close to me, too close. His hands found mine, so hot it burned my skin to the touch. He put his lips near my ear. "Then I'll wait two months."

"We're not together." I somehow managed to keep my voice steady. Every part of me was buzzing, wondering what exactly TJ might do next. 

He walked me into the wall that was behind us, lifting my arms over my head while we kissed for a hot minute. And when I say hot minute, I mean a HOT minute. I didn't want to, but I kissed him back. When it broke, he grinned at me. "You're good at that." He let me go and stepped away. "Two months."

"One month. Wanna go out for dinner with me tomorrow?" I gasped the words.

He chuckled. "Sure. Goodnight."

"Night," I breathed. He closed the door to his room. My chest heaved up and down while I ran my fingers through my hair. 

"I should warn you," Chris said, suddenly next to me. I jumped. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." I shook my head. "I should warn you about TJ. Don't let him manipulate you into doing something you don't want to."

"I won't fall victim to his games," I shook my head. 

"You just did."

"What?"

"He played all his best cards. First he hurt your ego. He told you you were boring. He proceeded to argue with you, firing you up. Then he played the nice guy, 'comforting,' " He did air quotes, "you. Then he complimented you. He got what he wanted after that."

"Oh my God," I sighed. "He can't be that good at chemistry."

"TJ will learn anything if it means furthering his own goals, believe me."

"Then I'll fight fire with fire."

"Good luck." Chris put his hand on my shoulder. "You're gonna need it."

I had no idea how right he would soon prove to be.