Chapter 12: Our Settlements

Start from the beginning

"As I told you before, Ms. Bakugo, according to the incident, the source of the fire began in the Midoriya's apartment. Even if you and your family have no reason to know this, we suppose we have to inform you for the sake of her son. And apart from that, because you are all partly involved."

In the office, the formal man laid his elbows on the messy table, crossing his fingers and keeping a look. The four individuals sat on different chairs, thoughtful.

"Before explaining what I meant about your involvement, let me start off with the events. We had Forensic pathologists and medical examiners to examine Ms. Midoriya's corpse. Based on the third-degree burns and the temperature of her body, her death was estimated to be around 10:23AM. The fire that spread on the entire building was as a result of her burning apartment. It must have slipped onto other areas only if the door was left opened."

They gulped, getting anxious from these unknown news. Bakugo looked as if he was getting a lecture, ignorance portrayed and rudely sitting.

"This is where we suspect her cause of death and whether it was homicidal or accidental. At first, our investigators assumed it was an accidental death, thinking it must have been the failure of a cooking in the kitchen. However, looking into more details, we saw how, apart from the burned skin, there were other separate injuries revolving her arm."

Riding into the cart of uneasiness, they all were shocked to comprehend the scene thoroughly. The parents paid close attention, but Deku appeared to have his final resistance.

"So...where is this all leading to?" Masaru questioned the man, lowly and reluctantly.

"Ms. Midoriya was not alone in her apartment. The other person was obviously holding onto the sense of a vile intention, and blended in as a rightful guest. She must have trusted them and the other took into consideration that fact. Before putting the place on fire or on her, they used physical force to weaken her defense. Products, combinations of combustion, and so on weren't present to consider the chances of inflammability. The guest must have had a quirk related to such things; related to fire, create combustions, or make a combination."

Mitsuki widened her eyes in confusion and lost the ideal of morality. She violently stood up and slammed her palms on the front of the desk.

"Excuse me? Are you trying to say that since my son has the quirk of explosion, he is the cause of this? There are countless of people out there with similar quirks!" The blonde clearly yelled. "D-dear! There's no need to shout to the officer!" Masaru notified nervously. Sighing, she sat back down.

"I'm sorry..." A shocked officer said, sitting steadily again. "What I mean is: you may have relatives, and yes, we still won't get rid of the suspicion of The Bakugo's. All we need is to interrogate each of you in order to find out a connection to the reason why she was killed. If the fire wasn't put to get rid of evidence, then why use fire? It's because it was the tactic or the only murderous tool the attacker could have used."

Mitsuki crossed her arms and Masaru grew worried. Bakugo gazed at the wall, and it only concerned the officer due to his lack of interest. Deku held his face to his shoes, feeling the weight from his backpack. He was crying and covering his face with his hands. He couldn't take it. He just couldn't accept it.

"Midoriya Izuku, you have been very broken throughout the whole discussion. Why don't you wait outside the door until we finish?" The officer pointed at the green-haired and nodded at the door next to him. He silently stood up and left. Mitsuki and Masaru turned their heads. And before the door was closed, Deku managed to hear Kacchan's name being called.

Leaning on the door, Deku hugged his arms to conceal the frozen atmosphere stacked within the massive station. Feeling as lonely, as misunderstood, and as worthless. The simplest thing he wished was for his lies to become real. For his mother to be alive.