Chapter 12: Our Settlements

"My...my mom-" Deku stammered, staring at nothingness. His voice breaking and eyes frozen. "She's...de-dead," he squealed as his trembling pose couldn't have gotten any worse. Bakugo remained his hands inside his pockets and stared unconcernedly. "H-how? Why? There was no reason for her to die..." Already tearing apart, he kneeled on the floor and hugged his head. The green-haired was silent until he bursted out crying, not knowning when it will end or ever feel less hurtful. "Why?!"

Bakugo sighed and took out his phone. He made another call to his mother looking the other way. "Old hag, should we go to the police station or wait at home?" With a staid tone he asked without interest. Some sound was heard from Deku's perspective, but he remained on the floor. The world was collapsing and his reason to live didn't matter anymore. His mother was dead, Kacchan was there to hurt him, and nobody was friends with him. It all felt so unreasonable and unfair. Nothing seemed important.

"Stand up," the blond ordered as he put back his phone. Deku didn't listen. How heartless could he be in this situation? Couldn't he give some space or time for him to swallow all of these worries at the same time? No, he couldn't. They forcefully pulled up Deku's shoulder and, in-between his conflicted feelings, he yelped from the strength. "Walk," said Bakugo.

The blond guided him to a nearby bench and sat him there. He, on the other hand, remained standing while looking around. Deku got a hold of himself and sat accordingly, looking at his hands below with his head looking down. Inaudibly whimpering and many images of him and his mother.

"Help!" Shouted a young Inko kneeling, hugging her legs with a blanket covering her head.

"I am here!" Slamming the door open, said a small Izuku with the brightest smile. Wearing a bunny-looking All Might costume.

Such unrecognizable memories valued a fortune to Deku. He couldn't believe nor inhale this sensation of despair. It ate him inside and filled him with anguish. Looking up, he saw Kacchan standing up with no sorts of empathy for him. It made him feel more disappointed.

"What are we doing here?" Mumbled Deku with a few voice-crackings. "Waiting for Old hag to come and pick us up. We're going to the police station," with no eye-contact he mentioned bluntly.

"Huh? For what? Aren't we going to the hospital to see my mom?" Deku questioned impatient.

"No. Didn't you hear? It's for you to know that auntie didn't just die. Someone purposely created the fire to kill her." Deku drowned into the darkness and betrayal. Her death was plotted, and he couldn't just imagine someone against her. "W-what?" He barely whimpered with a gloomy expression. "Kill her?"

In that moment, a familiar gray minivan was parked in front of the boys. The window was lowered and there was Mitsuki and Masaru, him in the driver's seat. Both had a very depressing face. Mitsuki seemed as if she was crying the most. "Well, that's our ride. Come on," Bakugo said in indifference.

---

Going to the police station was quite...stressing. Deku forced himself to look out the window in the passenger's seat, considering how Bakugo was glaring at him at all times. The family refused to answer to, of course, give respect to their lamentable loss. Sometimes their whimpers were slightly heard.

Inside of the department felt even tenser. It made Deku wonder why he was there in the first place. What made him wonder even more was why Kacchan was examining his reaction. Something made him sick, the same sickness as always when uncertainties were present.

Mitsuki said Inko's name to the front manager, and it was apparently a part of a case. This made Deku nervous, believing what Kacchan had said about her malicious death. Inside the office, the officer began to clarify the information that was gathered more fluently. Apparently, there were more elements behind the incident and unsolved clues left in the scene.