1.7

MICHAEL'S P.O.V.

Luke and I had detention for a week after our kiss during class, but I didn't care at all. Because it's high school and rumors spread like wildfire, and before either one of us knew it, the whole school was aware of the fact that we were together. I thought it would be scary--like at Luke's old school--to be a couple, publicly, but we were...accepted? I guess that's the word. Maybe even more than accepted.

We seemed to be popular, to some extent.

Annoying girls who tried to get into Luke's pants only a month ago now follow us around, 'awh!!!'ing when we hold hands and constantly asking if we'll go shopping with them. Luke tells me that's a gay stereotype, and that if we ignore the girls, eventually they'll go away. I do just that, but it's been a week, and they aren't responding to our cold shoulders.

At lunch, we sit with Calum and Amber. Calum still seems a bit uneasy around me, but I guess he has every right to be. I haven't apologized to him about it, I probably should--probably soon. Amber, on the other hand, is amazing. She's the third best friend I've ever had--but I've only ever had two, so I guess it really isn't hard to be my third best friend.

I don't know how to feel about the fact that last year, everyone hated me. Everyone thought I was weird or lonely or 'dangerous', as Calum liked to tell people. But now? I'm just a person. Just a person with purple hair and a really pretty boyfriend and a best friend that's been absent for a whole week now.

Yeah, Gordon hasn't shown up for a whole week, which means I've been eating regularly and I've gotten to spend time with my mother and I haven't even considered taking the contents out of the black pair of socks.

It's been the best week of my life, honestly, and it's all thanks to Luke.

-

It's Friday night, and Luke and I are lying on his bed, playing video games. It's exactly like when we would hang out before we were together, except that now I sit in between Luke's legs and the door is open--his mother's rule--so he can't shout profanities whenever I beat him. Which is every time.

It's my fifth win in a row--which means we've played a total of five games--when Luke presses mute on the TV. He drops the controller on the bed next to him, taking mine out of my hands and putting it next to his. I feel his arms go around me now, his hands resting on my waist, fingers sprawled out over my stomach.

"Hi, Michael," Luke hums in my ear.

I have no idea what's going on, but I decide just to go with it. I'd rather go with it than question him. "Hi, Lukey."

His fingers tap absentmindedly on my stomach.

"Can I ask you something?"

A jolt of some--unfortunately familiar--unpleasant feeling rushes through my veins. Breathe. I have to remind myself sometimes, now that Gordon isn't here to do it for me. "Y-yeah."

"When was the last time you talked to Gordon?" Speak of the devil.

"I-I think it was on, um, on the day that you--" I stop abruptly, feeling my cheeks heat up, to my embarrassment. "Um, when you asked me to be your b-boyfriend."

"A whole week ago?" I can hear Luke's smile, it's present in his voice.

"Yeah--" I start to smile myself, but I should've known better.

Not anymore.

Gordon comes when he's called.

Noticing the falter in my voice, Luke tightens his grip on me. "Everything okay?" he asks.

Lie.

"I can't lie to Luke!" I insist.

Would it be the first time?

"F-fine," I manage to tell Luke.

He scoots out from behind me and narrows his eyes when he looks at me. God, he knows me so well. He can tell that I'm lying through my teeth.

"Baby," he says softly. "You can tell me." He places his fingers into the spaces between mine.

No you fucking can't.

Gordon's voice is powerful, persuading, yet full of spite. I want to tell Luke the truth.

"Gordon is--"

I flinch as an intense throb runs through my brain.

"Gone. Dead, maybe, I don't kn-know," I finish the sentence, using my best Michael impression, stutter and all. I force myself to continue holding Luke's hand, when my first reflex is to yank my arm away.

Go away! Please.

I ignore Michael's sobbing, not in the mood to yell at him to be quiet. If I isolate him, I know he'll shut up eventually.

I reach across Luke for the TV remote, pressing the un-mute button, and I hand Luke his controller. "Ready for me to kick your butt again?"

~

a/n: ahHAHAHAHA I LOVE MYSELF and it doesnt even get better from here i have a really good plot twist planned (((; enjoy your lives for probably like 13 days (bc im awful at updating regularly sorry) much love