0.1

LUKE'S P.O.V.

I roam the halls of my new high school, searching desperately for my first period classroom. The bell's already rung and I'm late, but because I'm new and it's my first day, I'm hoping the teacher will cut me some slack.

Finally, I find the room that my English class is located in. Not wanting to miss another second of instruction, I swing open the door. All eyes are on me as I step into the room, shutting the door behind me. A quick sweep of the classroom tells me that this high school will be no different from my last one--the different stereotypical groups of kids are easily distinguished, from the boy wearing his basketball jersey and displaying an unflattering amount of armpit hair to the girl in the front row wearing a My Chemical Romance shirt and way too much eyeliner to the preppy girl in the skin-tight blouse who will probably be trying to get into my pants by the end of the day.

Too bad I'm gay.

"Would you happen to be Mr. Hemmings?" a middle aged, balding man asks me. I turn to him, smiling.

"Yes, sir," I say. "I'm sorry I'm late, I got a bit lost."

The man sighs. "I'm Mr. Brown," he says. "Don't let it happen again."

"Yes, sir."

"Take the empty seat behind Mr. Hood, please," Mr. Brown instructs me. "Calum, raise your hand."

A tan boy with a puppy-like face raises his hand. Is he Asian? I shake the thought, dragging my back pack to the seat behind him. I plop down, pulling out my notebook. When I look backup, the dark haired boy is turned around. I notice a blonde streak in his hair, a bit like Jack Barakat's. It's kind of hot.

"I'm Calum," the boy smiles at me. Pearly white teeth, too. He's definitely a looker.

"Luke," I grin in response.

"Hemmings! Hood!" Mr. Brown snaps, and I return my attention to the board. I have a clean slate at this school, and I'm not going to ruin it simply by not paying attention in class. This school is not going to turn out like the last one.

~

When the class ends, I stand up to leave, but I'm pushed aside by a boy, just a few inches shorter than me, scurrying out of the room. His head is ducked down, but I catch a glimpse of his soft purple hair. I turn to Calum, who's still at his desk, collecting his books.

"Hey, man," I say, and Calum looks up. "Who was that?" I gesture to the door.

"Oh, him?" Calum asks. He scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. "Um, I don't know his name. He's kind of weird though, you should probably stay away from him."

"Why?" I frown.

"He's dangerous," Calum lowers his voice.

"Dangerous?"

"Yeah. What do you have second period?"

"History," I say, pretending I didn't notice Calum's sneaky change of the subject.

"Mrs. Brooks?" Calum asks, the corner of his mouth lifting in a smile.

"Yeah, you have it to?"

Calum nods. "Follow me."

~

As it turns out, Calum and I have every class together, except for seventh period, the last one of the day. As it also turns out, I have an abundance of classes with the strange lilac haired boy, but I decide to avoid him, as Calum advised me to. It is now lunch time, and I am seated with Calum and his girlfriend, Amber. I felt awkward, seated across from the couple, but Calum was my only friend, and I wasn't very keen on the idea of sitting alone, nor eating in the bathroom.