Chapter 13 - Deception

***Note to ONC judges: it is in this chapter that I surpass the 20.000 words, and I have marked the first word of the sentence where I pass this wordcount in bold.***

Hand hovering an inch away from the door, Norae questions herself until the very last moment. Is she doing this for the right reasons? Is she not being influenced by her own infatuations? But as soon as she knocks, and he opens the door, she knows she chose correctly.

Dressed in a plain white t-shirt, toothbrush in hand, Nash seems surprised to see her. Which might be because it's nearly midnight. "Norae? What's wrong?"

"I need you to come with me. I'll explain on the way."

Five minutes later, they arrive around the corner from the elevator. "So you stole this right from under Brass's nose?" Nash does a double take as Norae holds out the keycard.

"Yeah, and it was terrifying." Norae admits as she sneaks a peek at the elevator, making sure no guards are around.

"And you think this elevator is going to lead to a way out?" Nash asks.

"At the very least, maybe it'll tell us more than we know now."

Nodding as he considers, Nash finally stretches out his hand in a gesturing manner. "Alright then, after you."

Stepping up to the double doors, Norae feels her heart skip a nervous beat as she moves the keycard towards the panel on the wall. A little green light signals the acceptance of the keycard, as Norae's mind summarizes every possible scenario in which this could go wrong. They have no idea what they're walking into here. Is this a mistake?

The doors slide open, and Norae thanks her lucky stars that the elevator is empty. Stepping inside, they take a gander at the little control panel, consisting of exactly two buttons: level 1 and level 2. A white ring of light around the button for level 1 tells them that's their floor. Only one way to go.

As they are lifted, Nash shares a thought. "Strange that there are only two floors, considering we're not at the bottom of the ship. There's definitely more to the vessel, but I guess this elevator isn't the way to it."

"How do you know?" Norae inquires.

"Simple, just look at the water level from your window, it's quite a bit lower than us." Nash explains, and Norae feels instantly stupid for not drawing that conclusion.

As soon as the doors open again, both Norae and Nash are prepared to run. Or fight. But neither appears necessary. Instead they stand there, baffled as they take in their surroundings.

A long carpeted hallway stretches out before them. Floor to ceiling windows show them more of the ocean than they ever could have glimpsed from their level. Classical tunes reach their ears, reminding Norae of how long it has been since she's heard music. Stepping out of the elevator, the carpet feels soft underneath their boots.

Wanting more than anything to express her disbelief, Norae opens her mouth, only to shut it again when they hear footsteps nearby. Pulling her by the arm, Nash guides Norae to the first hiding spot he sees, behind the thick velvet curtains that hang in a corner. Holding their breath, they listen for footsteps as the unidentified third party reaches them. The sound of a keycard being accepted is the next thing they hear.

Scared, but determined to get answers, Norae peaks through a slit in the curtains. The first thing she sees is those perfectly styled blonde locks, then the tightly fitted dress suit, then the black patent leather stilettos. It's her. It's Dr. Carvel.