Chapter Seven

The next two days passed without major incident. Grandmother had made good on her suggestion and scheduled a visit to the duke's estate, so Sir Roger doubled down on my "nobility lessons" and Alice worked herself into a frenzy getting another suit of clothes ready. Lissa kept busy with her chores, thanks to Grandmother, no doubt, but I found her and snuck a kiss or two whenever I could. The strange behavior of my magic had faded from my mind by the following morning, and it stayed content and quiet since, so I didn't think to pay any mind to it. All I could focus on was the upcoming visit with Adeline and, more importantly, Lissa.

The more time I spent with her the more head over heels in love I fell. She was smart, funny, hardworking, beautiful, and kind—all a guy could ask for and more. Perfect, and in less than a week we would be miles away from here pledging our lives to each other.

Still, we couldn't arouse suspicion and risk anyone figuring out what we were planning, so I had to pay attention to Sir Roger and sit through awkward meals with Grandmother and pretend I would actually give Adeline a chance. Sir Roger caught me daydreaming more than once and admonished me for it, but I couldn't help it. All the lectures on propriety and respect and not letting girls cloud my head while there was work and business to be done were worth it, if only for the extra time I got to think about the love of my life. He wasn't terribly strict about it, however. As long as I let him think it was Adeline who occupied my thoughts, he just lectured until he was out of steam, shook his head, and went on with the lesson.

On the day of the visit Alice shoved me into a sharp black suit, complete with new leather shoes that pinched my toes and a matching top hat. It was a cloudy day again, so hopefully there wouldn't be much heat to deal with, but it was still uncomfortable. Lissa passed by my room with a basket of washing as Alice fussed with my hair, and before I could duck from the housekeeper's hands Lissa had skipped off with a giggle.

It didn't escape Alice's notice. Few things did, I had quickly learned. "She's got a soft spot for you, that one," she said.

"What?" I sputtered.

She eyed me in a way that was almost reproachful. "Careful, my lord. Pretty girls are tricky things."

Maybe she continued, but I was too busy thinking about the way Lissa's hair and eyes had caught the firelight in my room when we first kissed. "She is pretty."

Alice rapped me on the arm with her palm. "You know better, young man."

The scolding was so unexpected and so unlike how anyone else here treated me that it pushed Lissa from my mind entirely. "I beg your pardon?"

I beg your pardon. Was I really becoming an insufferable snob already?

"Goin' off flirtin' with serving girls is the sure quickest way to trouble for men like you." When I looked at her even more quizzically she said, "Earls. Lords and fine gentlemen. A quick round of fun isn't worth dealin' with the consequences nine months later."

My face flamed bright red. "That's not how it is at all. I love her, and I want to marry her, but not...that!"

"Love," Alice deadpanned. "I don't know what you think love is, boy, but it's not that." She gestured with her head to the doorway where Lissa had been. "I may just be the housekeeper but I know a thing or two about people. Better get your head twisted on straight, my lord, before you regret it."

I nodded quietly, but only to appease her. My head and mind were straight, and they pointed straight to Lissa. Alice probably meant well, but she had no idea what she was talking about.

~~

Patrick the driver was a completely different person when we came outside to the carriage. He was crisp and clean-shaven, bowing gracefully to Grandmother and taking her hand delicately to help her inside. He even reserved a slight smile for Lissa, who to my delight was coming with us. Of course I was nervous to have both her and Adeline around at the same time, but as she was technically Grandmother's maid in waiting—though she rarely had to act like it—it was decided she would come for the journey to assist in whatever Grandmother needed.