Condolences

March 31th, 1892

Dear Mr. Fredrick,

Please accept my condolences on the sudden and tragic loss of your mother and father. Enclosed with this letter is a copy of your father's last will and testament.

I have written to your grandmother to inform her of your arrival and will arrange for your transportation to England with haste.

Sincerely,

Samuel Danne, L.L.B., Esq.

~~

The Last Will & Testament of Thomas FredrickOctober Ninth, in the Year of Our Lord 1887

In the Name of God, Amen.

I, Thomas Fredrick of Knoxville, Tennessee, being of sound mind and body, hereby upon my death bequeath all my worldly possessions to my son and sole descendant, Harrison Oliver Fredrick, in the care of his mother Margaret Fredrick, née Allston, until he is of mature and legal age of twenty-one years.

In the event of the passing of my wife, Margaret Fredrick, née Allston, prior to his twenty-first year, I leave the custody of my son to his maternal grandmother, Catherine Allston, residing in Hamblinshire, England. Expenses for travel have been set aside within my funds and meager fortune...

~~

April 5th, 1892

Dear Mr. Danne,

Thank you for your service to my late father and your assistance, but I'm afraid there is a misunderstanding. I have no grandmother in England as my mother's parents died before I was born. Also, my father's debts have grown since his will was written and I don't think there will be extra money for travel. With my home and all possessions lost, all I have to pay his creditors is what he left in the bank.

I'm almost eighteen and can get a job as a carpenter's helper here in Knoxville to support myself, so your services will no longer be needed.

Sincerely,

Harrison Fredrick

~

April 8th, 1892

Dear Mr. Fredrick,

If there is a misunderstanding it is not on my part. I have sufficient proof of your relation to Lady Catherine Allston, Countess of Hamblinshire, at my office in Nashville if you wish to see for yourself. There is indeed sufficient funds to provide for your journey in the account your father held in the bank.

As you are not yet of age you are bound by law to your father's will. I also highly doubt that your wages, whatever they are, will sufficiently provide for you with no home and few possessions.

A ticket on an ocean liner has been purchased in your name and enclosed with this letter. You will depart for England from Port Roanoke, North Carolina, twenty days from today. I suggest you make haste in your preparations.

Sincerely,

Samuel Danne, L.L.B, Esq.

~~

April 11th, 1892

Dear Mr. Danne,

What do you mean, LADY Catherine Allston?

Sincerely,

Harrison Fredrick