Chapter 16

The horn honked twice when Miley stepped outside the club. She spotted the shiny silver S-class Merc blocking the main entrance, the engine ticking over. Most girls would kill to have a man pick them up for a date in a ride that cost more than average people earn in a year. Of course, the man behind the wheel was only interested in driving her where she needed to be. And while the date would definitely get physical, there would be zero romance involved.

Miley dashed across the gravel car park as quickly as her six-inch heeled stilettos would allow. The first drops of rain landing on her bare arms before she made it to the car. "Looks like it's going to piss it down," she said. Maneuvering into the passenger seat so her sequined sheer cocktail mini-dress didn't ride any further up her hips.

"Keep the farmers happy," DeShawn said. "Won't be moaning about no droughts. Way they talk, you think nobody else in the country have problems 'cept them."

Miley didn't know what to say to that.

"Damn, you looking fine as hell in that dress, girl."

"Thanks, hun," Miley said, grinning. The dress, the most expensive she owned, designer brand, had set her back almost two hundred euros. "Thought I better make the effort. Last time I was there, I had on a tarty little number cost less than Elana's shampoo."

DeShawn looked over, arched a single eyebrow. "Girl, I seem to recall you not wearing much at all last time we met."

"As I recall, it didn't seem to bother you much."

"You been around Elana as long as I have, nothing bother you much."

Miley giggled. "I can imagine." She liked DeShawn, a big cuddly teddy bear with an easy charm. Not that she couldn't imagine the teddy bear turning grizzly bear if provoked.

"I don't think you can." DeShawn, suddenly turning serious. "Elana's beautiful, but don't go falling in love. That lady's only about having fun. Fun for her."

"Honey, I might be young, but I ain't naïve."

"I'm just sayin', don't get too attached is all. Elana's specialty is making folks feel special. Until she find the next beautiful young thing take her fancy."

"I might be a pretty woman, but I sure as hell don't expect no millionaire to ride in and rescue me from the life."

DeShawn chuckled. "Girl, how old are you? You be bringing an old Julia Roberts movie into the conversation like that."

Miley smirked. "Old enough to know a classic movie when I see one. And, that Hollywood writers know about as much about the reality of hooking as I do about quantum physics."

Fall in love on the job? Jesus, more chance of a mortician encountering their soul-mate in the line of duty. A hell of a lot more if you believed the stories about the undertaking profession. Miley could count on one hand the johns she'd ever been attracted to.

Okay, she kinda liked that guy from a few nights back. Bit of a goofball that seemed to accidentally say the right thing, like you could tell he wasn't just feeding you a line. Had that seedy criminal look, with his slicked back hair, that she found so damn appealing. With his sleepy blue eyes and those homemade abs. Sixty push-ups every morning, he'd told her when she'd asked. Only way you'd catch him in a gym is if they left the takings there overnight. And, of course, that irresistible Irish brogue, like Colin Farrell, make a girl's toes curl just by opening his gob.

But that guy was gone. Like a leaf in the breeze, swirling enchantingly in front of your eyes for a moment before blowing away. She'd never see him again. Probably for the best, guys like him could attract trouble in a Buddhist temple.