Same Mistakes: Chapter Five

Time went on, and Abigail got rounder and rounder, and soon the word ‘adoption’ was being thrown around more frequently and casually. And then one day Abigail finally declared she was ready to start looking for parents for her baby.

Harry wanted to crack a bottle of champagne then and there, but Louis had shot him a warning look, before he’d walked over to the young girl and wrapped her and Luke into a tight hug, holding in his sigh of relief.

It was only after Luke dragged Abigail off upstairs to his room, when Louis and Harry both allowed themselves to collapse on the couch in relief, both fighting of smiles.

“Louis?” Harry said, in a slight daze, reaching out for his husband’s hand and squeezing it, “I think I actually might live through this.”

Louis chuckled and leaned forward, pulling Harry into a deep kiss, that was interrupted immediately by Rebecca who’d come toddling into the room. Harry jumped away from Louis and turned expectantly to his daughter who toddled up, bow hanging loosely in her hair.

“Lunch!” She cried, rubbing at her tummy and Harry grinned, reaching down for his daughter and toting her off to the kitchen, while Louis went to fetch Riley.

“Rebecca baby, guess who’s not going to be an Aunt anymore,” Harry cooed and Rebecca looked onobliviously, bright blue eyes shining, “You aren’t! And I’m not going to be a grandfather, and-”

“Dad, stop gloating, it’s obnoxious,” Luke muttered as he squeezed past Louis, who was carrying Riley into the room as well. Luke opened up their fridge and Harry watched warily as he emerged with leftover chinese food and jelly, stomach lurching as he watched Luke combine the two into a bowl.

“That’s repulsive,” Louis declared, staring wide eyed at the concoction, and Luke rolled his eyes, stirring it with a spoon.

“Abigail likes it, so I tried it and it wasn’t all that bad-” 

“Abigail is pregnant,” Harry said, placing Riley’s bowl of spaghettiOs in front of her, “So it’s okay if that’s what she craves, that’s her own womanly thing. You are not pregnant. There is absolutely noexcuse for you eating that.”

“Whatever Dad,” Luke groaned, shoving his way past Louis, bowl in hand.

Louis glared at Harry before shaking his head, turning his head out the door of the kitchen to yell up at Luke, “We have adoption meetings all day tomorrow. Don’t forget!”

“Whatever Louis!” Luke yelled back and Louis sighed, rolling his eyes and fetching Rebecca’s bowl ofspaghettiOs, joining the twins and Harry at the table.

-o-

Harry’s foot tapped nervously on the ground and Louis sighed, reaching out and resting a calming hand on his knee, as the two sat with Luke and Abigail, as well as Abigail’s family, in the Styles-Tomlinson’s family room.

Niall and Amanda had taken the twins for the day, on an excursion to the zoo, which left the house empty and quiet for meetings with three couples who’d all been screened and cleared for a meeting, regarding the adoption of Abigail and Luke’s baby.

Harry’s breath caught in his throat as the doorbell rang, and Louis gave his knee a last reassuringsqueeze before standing up and walking over to answer the door.

Luke’s face mirrored his dad’s own anxiety, ghostly pale, and Harry struggled to force a reassuringsmile for his son who stared blankly back, biting at his lip.

A minute or so later Louis reappeared with a smile that was much too bright and wide to be real, and Harry’s stomach plummeted slightly, as he held his breath and waited for the couple to appear. Moments later a young man and woman appeared, blond hair, fake smiles, preppy clothing, oozing old money.