Same Mistakes: Prologue

“Riley, baby, it’s just for one night,” Harry soothed, bouncing one of the two-year old twins in his arms, her face red and scrunched up as she bawled. Her sister, Rebecca, seemed to be taking the separation a bit better, playing calmly in the corner, while Louis chatted with the babysitter, dressed to impress in a tuxedo for their album release party.

Riley didn’t respond but buried herself deeper into Harry’s shoulder, grabbing at the back of his shirt stubbornly. Harry sighed and caught Louis’ eye, who shrugged, glancing at his watch nervously.

“Riley, please,” Harry cooed, and Louis walked over, resting a strong hand on Harry’s shoulder and leaning in to talk to his daughter.

“Ry, sweetie, Daddy and Dad are only going to be gone for one night,” he repeated, plucking his daughter out of Harry’s arms, and smoothing down her wispy hair with his hand, as he held her to his chest, until her sobs stifled to sniffles, “Before you come home from nursery tomorrow, Daddy and I will be back! All right? Can you be a big girl, like Rebecca?”

Riley nodded slowly into Louis’ shoulder and he smiled, pressing a gently kiss to her forehead and gently handing her over to the nanny.

“We should be back tomorrow morning, before noon,” Louis said, and Harry nodded next to him, quickly straightening his tie that Riley had scrunched up, “Bed by eight, Rebecca will be up before seven, Riley may make a fuss, but she’ll come around. Emergency numbers, you have. And-“

“Have fun,” The babysitter interrupted, with a bright smile, “And don’t worry. We’re going to have a grand time.”

Louis sighed and nodded, small smile on his face as he leaned over and gave Riley one last kiss, waving at Rebecca before turning to his husband and dragging him out the door, before Riley could start crying again.

Harry climbed into the passenger seat, glancing over his shoulder at their large house nervously every few minutes, until Louis had pulled the car away from the estate. He turned to Harry and chuckled, shaking his head.

“What?” Harry asked and Louis rolled his eyes, still laughing.

“You never had that much of a problem leaving Luke,” He muttered and Harry shrugged, tugging at his tie nervously.

“They’re my baby girls,” he replied and Louis laughed merrily, reaching out and squeezing Harry’s hand. They drove in silence for a few minutes, before Louis smiled wickedly, turning to Harry who was gazing out the window, lost in thought.

“Imagine them dating-“

“They‘re not, dating, ever,” Harry growled and Louis snorted, pulling the car to a stop in front of the valley parking already waiting for them, at a swanky new hotel in the middle of the city.  Louis hurried around to open Harry’s door, and turned on his bright smile for the camera, as Harry found his way to his arm.

“Do you think they’ll be okay,” Harry whispered quietly through a grin and Louis sighed, squeezing Harry’s shoulder reassuringly.

“Babe, just enjoy the night, yeah?” Louis whispered back, waving to the other three boys who were huddled inside, their dates on their arms. Amanda was clinging nervously onto Niall’s shoulder, and Harry greeted her with a peck on her cheek, slapping Niall’s back playfully.

“Is he alright?” Zayn asked, offering Louis a glass of champagne and nodding to Harry and Louis smirked, sipping at his drink.

“Overprotective father, the usual,” He replied affectionately, and Harry rolled his eyes, wandering over to the bar with Liam, tugging out his phone to show off a picture of the twins he’d taken earlier that afternoon.