Same Mistakes: Chapter Three

The Monday after telling the boys of Luke’s predicament, Louis and Harry trekked to management to spill the news and begin the long process of ‘cleanup’. Though, there wasn’t much to clean up, you couldn’t exactly sugarcoat it. Their sixteen-year-old son, the product of Harry’s teenage mistake, had just repeated the same mistake.

Press was going to be ruthless.

Luke had still been asleep when they’d left, earlier that morning, and Louis had found Harry in Luke’s doorway, watching his son sleep restlessly. Louis walked up behind him and rested a hand on his shoulder, “You alright love?”

Harry nodded wordlessly, turning around and gently tugging Luke’s door shut, before leading the way through the quiet house. It was only seven in the morning, and there was still the sweet calm of night in the house. The twins were still asleep, the nanny in the nursery, waiting for the first of their cries. It was peaceful and tranquil, which left no doubt in Harry or Louis’ mind that a storm was on the horizon.

“Do we have a game plan?” Louis asked, as he pulled his car out of the driveway, reaching to turn down the volume of the radio as he glanced at his husband.

“Lay the cards on the table,” Harry muttered, voice rough with sleep, “Try not to fuck anything up. Shit. This is all bringing back horrendous nightmares of having to out ourselves to them, seventeen years ago. Do you remember that?”

Louis nodded slowly, his hands gripping the steering wheel, “Hard to forget. What was it that Jessica girl said?”

“”You’re life choice has just ruined everything this company has worked for. Burn in hell,” Harry quoted automatically, the words still engraved in his memory. He sighed tiredly and pinched the bridge of her nose, “Came back and bit her in the ass though. Didn’t it? She was fired the day after.”

Louis smirked slightly and nodded, “Don’t mess with bands that top the charts apparently,” he muttered and Harry grinned, letting out a breathy laugh.

“Yeah, God, we picked a great time to do that,” Harry reminisced, thinking back, “Just having made it big in America, we had them in our pocket. We’re fucking geniuses, you know that?”

Louis laughed and nodded, turning into the parking garage next to the office building that held their management, “You know, you and I are solely responsible for the shit they have to deal with. There was that, and then there was Luke, and now this. I mean, come on, the only other slightly bad thing they had to deal with was Zayn breaking up Angelina and Brad.”

Harry winced, “Yeah, but that was pretty bad,” He muttered, Louis nodding in agreement as both the boys climbed out of Louis’ BMW, slamming the car doors behind them. The car beeped behind them, locking, and Louis reached for Harry’s hand.

Going into battle, it was good to have a lifeline, and his was Harry’s calloused hand, just as Louis’ delicate, smooth hand was Harry’s. It worked.

The building smelled the same as it had years ago, when they’d first come together as a band, an official office smell of paper and printer ink, mixed with too much air freshener. Louis tugged Harry along to the familiar elevator, where they rode up to the familiar third floor, and walked up to the familiar receptionist who’d grown old and cynical in the past eighteen years.

“Looking gorgeous today, as always darling,” Louis greeted with a wink, and the woman rolled her eyes, not glancing up from her computer.

“Heard you boys are the bearer of bad news,” she said, her voice dull, “There’s a betting pool going around on what it is. I have a couple pounds riding on the fact that one of you asked for a divorce.”