12

Turns out, one day is not enough to gather four hundred dollars. With only one day left for the deadline, we were hustling more than ever, trying to break up as many couples as humanly possible.

It would take a miracle to gather all of the money for the painters in time. They were going to arrive at the school on Saturday morning.

"Can we do anything else besides the club? I mean, my last paycheck is coming today, but it's still at least four-hundred short," I whispered to Indy as we were continuously bombarded by slips of paper, requests for break-ups.

We clearly both weren't comfortable with talking about what happened in her room the night before, so we had avoided the topic entirely.

"Geez! If only we could handle all of these crazy requests at once!" Raja shouted as she cleared her portion of the table, taking a seat and shaking her head.

Suddenly, Indy paused from collecting the little notes, and she gasped loudly, hitting both Raja and my arms.

"Guys... I've got the perfect solution!" she squealed before picking both of our arms up and dragging us to our feet. Raja and I shared a confused look as Indy tugged us behind her, into the auditorium.

The auditorium itself was illuminated by the general lights, casting shadows on everyone's faces and distorting the blue and purple hues of the stage lights. Mr. Carson was busy relegating set design to different members of the backstage crew, and he almost didn't notice us enter.

"Mr. Carson, we have something very important to ask you!" Indy shouted. His tired face creased as he spotted Indy's over-excited expression, rolling his eyes as she descended the rows of seats to greet him at the bottom.

He was stationed in one of the middle chairs of the bottom row, his laptop and the script arranged haphazardly around him.

"Well, I can imagine that this conversation will be pleasant, especially after your friend there blackmailed me yesterday," he said.

Indy frowned before saying, "I guess it kind of involves that. We want to host an event for our club. Kind of like group therapy, but for couples. Can we host it here, in the auditorium, this evening?" A hopeful expression lit up her eyes as she looked at Mr. Carson, with his greasy brown hair and blue eyes, for approval.

He simply shook his head. "There's no way that would be possible. You of all people should have remembered that there are rehearsals here for the play. And I expect you to be there, Miss Mehta."

Indy turned back to us with a stubborn glint in her eyes, refusing to give up. Just as Mr. Carson began to speak to one of the girls from the art department about the storm scene, Indy said, "What if some of the other members led the event?"

Mr. Carson slid his glasses off of the bridge of his nose, and as Indy's bold statement sank into the air, I cut in with, "The pool room can host the event."

The older man sighed, rubbing his temples before glancing back up at all three of us.

"Fine." With a loud whoop, we all celebrated with glowing beams and high-fives. "However..." I groaned at this simple word. It was a blatant trap, and we all fell right into it. My own aunt used the same trick on Rylie and me.

"You'll have to have an adult there to make sure that things don't get out of hand with your... well, whatever this club is. Couples therapy," he added, a smug smile indicating that he felt proud of himself for remembering.

"Deal," I quickly said before anyone spoke again. Both Raja and Indy turned wide-eyed warnings to me, but I ignored them as I flashed a confident beam. Mr. Carson seemed to buy that we would figure it out in time, and he turned his attention back to the techies beside him who resembled lost puppies.