Chapter 29: Hayley Your Back

3x02

[Klaus is on the balcony outside of his bedroom, drinking a tumbler of bourbon, when he suddenly senses that he is not alone

[Klaus is on the balcony outside of his bedroom, drinking a tumbler of bourbon, when he suddenly senses that he is not alone. He doesn't even need to turn around to know that Jackson and Elijah are behind him]

KLAUS: I thought I smelled swamp.

[He finally turns to face Jackson and Elijah, both of whom look furious as they glare at him]

JACKSON: What'd you do with Hayley?ELIJAH: Tell me what you know.

[Klaus walks toward them with a coy expression]

KLAUS: Has Jackson misplaced his bride? Come to think about it, I did read that global warming was affecting migration patterns. Try Georgia!JACKSON: [angrily] I just left the bodies of people I care about to rot in the woods because you left them defenseless against poachers!

[Klaus looks surprised to hear this, but smiles fakely to cover it up]

JACKSON: Like Kingmaker Land Development. Does that ring a bell?

[Klaus' smile falls, and Jackson realizes he's onto something]'

JACKSON: Yeah, the CEO is Lucien Castle.

[He gestures to Elijah]

JACKSON: Elijah tells me you two go way back--

[Elijah cuts him off and walks toward Klaus so they are face-to-face]

ELIJAH: So, I will ask you once again-- what do you know?KLAUS: [points at Elijah] As it happens, I just came back from a romp with our good friend Lucien. You can find him in the penthouse of the gaudy new construction on Canal. And while you two are catching up, be sure to ask him about the prophetic vision he showed me of our family's spectacular downfall. You could use a good laugh.

[Elijah sighs and points at Jackson]

ELIJAH: You stay here. Niklaus and I will deal with this.KLAUS: Actually, as long as Hayley's prowling about on two legs and unaccounted for, I'm staying with my daughters.

[Klaus walks toward Jackson, looking at him suspiciously]

KLAUS: And, should I discover that this is yet another cock-eyed scheme for Hayley and you to abscond with them, the paltry remains of your beloved wolf pack will be sniffing at your entrails come morning.

[Jackson scowls at him, which makes Klaus smile as he walks away. However, Elijah vamp-speeds in front of him, blocking his way]

ELIJAH: [amused] This doesn't frighten you, brother. But, one day, your daughters will know exactly the kind of man that her father is. One of them already does.

[His smile falls, and he looks at Klaus with a deadly serious expression]

ELIJAH: If anything should happen to Hayley, you mark my words-- no one will have to take Hope from you. She will, without question, leave you of her own accord and Ophira is on the verge of leaving.